none
Mcafee trouble RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Mcafee security before I installed Windows 7. I now am having trouble with Mcafee security. I emailed Mcafee and they said I need administraion rights. I had Windows Vista and uninstalled the program before I installed Windows 7. I cannot apply parental rights for my children, get Picaso 3, Windows explorer always shuts down. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP, Moderator Saturday, May 1, 2010 6:12 AM Moved to relevant forum category (From:Windows Vista Security)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Does your login account have administrator privilege to install or uninstall program? When selecting “Run as administrator” option to uninstall McAfee, is there any error message? If so, please post it here.

At this stage, I suggest you refer to the following article enable Administrator account and login to the administrator account to uninstall the program.

How to Enable the Hidden Administrator Account in Windows 7

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

However, if the issue persists, you can reinstall the system to eliminate the software.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, May 6, 2010 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:39 AM

All replies

• I informed Windows 7 of my problem that I needed administration rights in order for Mcafee to work properly.They did not have any answers for me. All I want is to uninstall Mcafee which I cannot do without you help. Please help me.

REFERENCE NO. 491430398

Thanking you in advance

Stella Vaters

Monday, May 3, 2010 12:07 AM
  • Dear Stella,

If you would like to uninstall McAfee and reinstall it please try the following steps:

1.Click Start, Search, type Programs and Features, and click Go.
    2.Double-click Programs and Features.
    3.Select the McAfee SecurityCenter product.
    4.Click Uninstall and follow the steps provided.

If there is any problem when trying to uninstall it, please remember McAfee also has its own removeal tool. Please refer to the following:

1.Download the removal tool from: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
    2.Click Save and save the file to a folder on your computer.
    3.Navigate to the folder where the file was saved.
    4.Make sure all McAfee windows are closed.
    5.Right-click MCPR.exe and select Run as Administrator.
    6.Restart your computer after receiving the message CleanUp Successful: "Your McAfee product will not be fully removed until the system is restarted."

Then, you can try to reinstall your McAfee to check if it works. Please also use "Run as Administrator" when reinstalling McAfee. Good Luck!

Best Regards,
    Calven

Monday, May 3, 2010 4:13 AM
  • Reference No. 491430398

Hello Calven

I tried to do what you said but it did not work. I'm wondering if I could uninstall Windows 7 would it work then. After I could reinstall Windows 7.

Thank You,

Stella Vaters

Monday, May 3, 2010 2:57 PM
  • Ref. No. 491430398

Hello,

I'm wondering if I could uninstall Windows 7, then reinstall Windows 7 to eliminate Mcafee. I do not have the disc for Mcafee because I ordered Mcafee online.

I am going away May 4th so I am wondering if the installation could be done before I leave. There has been a death in the family.

Thank you,

Stella Vaters

Monday, May 3, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Hi,

Does your login account have administrator privilege to install or uninstall program? When selecting “Run as administrator” option to uninstall McAfee, is there any error message? If so, please post it here.

At this stage, I suggest you refer to the following article enable Administrator account and login to the administrator account to uninstall the program.

How to Enable the Hidden Administrator Account in Windows 7

Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

However, if the issue persists, you can reinstall the system to eliminate the software.

Thanks,

Novak

• Marked as answer by Novak Wu Thursday, May 6, 2010 9:03 AM
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:39 AM