none
hyper-v manager no new option - unable to create new/a vm RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a leptop HP 450 , with Windows 8.1 pro . I am trying to create a virtual machine but I can not do it.

In Hyper-v manager I don't have the "new" option. I have Only "connect to a server" .

My leptop  is for home use.

Thanks,

Monday, June 23, 2014 8:28 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The "New" option only appears when a Hyper-V host is connected to and selected.

If you select "Hyper-V Manager" in the tree, then there is no new, just Connect to Server.
    If you Select "Hyper-V" in the tree, then there is just general health.

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:14 AM
  • You should connect to local server for see Virtual machine and Management tools on local system.

Do this Steps:

1-Right clik on hyper-v Manager and select "Connect To Server...."

2-On page Select Computer click on "Local Computer" and then click OK.

3-You see Virtual machine (if you haven't virtual machine it was empty) and management tools.

4-Have fun!

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

LinkedIn:   Facebook:   

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

The "New" option only appears when a Hyper-V host is connected to and selected.

If you select "Hyper-V Manager" in the tree, then there is no new, just Connect to Server.
    If you Select "Hyper-V" in the tree, then there is just general health.

Karen Hu

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:14 AM
  • You should connect to local server for see Virtual machine and Management tools on local system.

Do this Steps:

1-Right clik on hyper-v Manager and select "Connect To Server...."

2-On page Select Computer click on "Local Computer" and then click OK.

3-You see Virtual machine (if you haven't virtual machine it was empty) and management tools.

4-Have fun!

Whenever you see a helpful reply, click on Alternate Text Vote As Helpful & click on Alternate Text Mark As Answer if a post answers your question.

LinkedIn:   Facebook:   

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:44 AM
  • Hi,

How about your problem is now? If you need any further assistance, please feel free let us know.

Karen Hu

Thursday, June 26, 2014 8:39 AM
  • Karen.. Even I am facing the same problem and unable to view NEW option . Please assist.
    Monday, May 16, 2016 9:19 AM
  • Client Hyper-V is only available in the following versions of Windows:

• Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Edition
    • Windows 8 Enterprise 64-bit Edition
    • Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit Edition
    • Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit Edition
    • Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Thursday, May 26, 2016 4:24 PM
  • This requires the user to be an Admin. I would suggest running Hyper-V as admin and then the local machine shows up right away.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 4:04 PM