none
settings are managed by your system administrator - non domain joined laptop? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new laptop in April, and I only just realized I hadn't done any Windows Updates since I had purchased the machine.  I wondered why I hadn't been prompted (I generally set mine to notify me, and let me choose when to install).  Come to find out Automatic Updating is disabled, and when I try to change it, I see the banner at the top of the window that says "settings are managed by your system administrator" and I cannot change the setting away from "NEVER check..."

The problem is, this is NOT a domain joined laptop.  It has never been on a domain.  It CAN'T be on a domain, it's Windows 7 Home Premium x64.  It was a 'return' unit from a Best Buy, but the minute I got the laptop I reloaded it from the system image on the drive, then manually removed bloatware.  So even if there's a chance it had some 'Best Buy floor model lock down' crapware, it should be gone by now.

Any ideas what I can toss at this baby to let it allow me to change that?  Everything else I need to do as an "Administrator" user, I have no problems with.  I've disabled UAC, installed and uninstalled dozens of programs, I run VMWare all day long - other than this one Window, the rest of the PC thinks i'm an Administrator (which I am!).  Looking forward to suggestions!

Thanks,
    -Garrett

Don't forget, if you find the help you need, click the "Propose as Answer" link at the bottom of the post containing the solution!
    NuAngel.net

Monday, June 25, 2012 12:57 AM

Answers