none
windows update does not work because of a "system administrator" RRS feed

• Question

•  Good evening,

A few months ago I came across a problem with my windows updater:

whenever i try to update my laptop (Asus pro791 (running on windows 7)) it tells me that a certain "System admionistrator" is taking control of my settings and that I can't change anything because of the rights of that certain system administrator.

does anyone know how to disable that certain "System Administrator" ?

Kind Regrats,

Moose946

Sunday, October 18, 2015 6:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Moose946,

What is your current situation?

Could you please share us more details here, such as which option would bring you the error message you mentioned here, and if possible, would you mind to share us a screenshot here?

By the way, which edition of Windows 7 are you running here, home or the professional ?

As you have told, the issue here happened few months ago, so how the system updates itself during this time?

Usually the error you mentioned is related with group policy settings, which should be considered to use under domain environment, there are different policies that having effects on Windows Update, so without the understanding of the current symptom, we can't narrow down the proper one.

Ans if your Operating system is home edition, there is no local group policy editor available, we could only find the related registry and then change the settings there.

If your system is the professional edition, then open CMD with admin rights, type the command below:

GPresult /v

Which would show the result of the policies configured.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:46 AM

All replies

• Kindly run the fix-it application.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Monday, October 19, 2015 12:38 AM
  • Hi Moose946,

What is your current situation?

Could you please share us more details here, such as which option would bring you the error message you mentioned here, and if possible, would you mind to share us a screenshot here?

By the way, which edition of Windows 7 are you running here, home or the professional ?

As you have told, the issue here happened few months ago, so how the system updates itself during this time?

Usually the error you mentioned is related with group policy settings, which should be considered to use under domain environment, there are different policies that having effects on Windows Update, so without the understanding of the current symptom, we can't narrow down the proper one.

Ans if your Operating system is home edition, there is no local group policy editor available, we could only find the related registry and then change the settings there.

If your system is the professional edition, then open CMD with admin rights, type the command below:

GPresult /v

Which would show the result of the policies configured.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 2:46 AM