none
Folder Redirection - Appdata access issue RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

we have the following setup.

Windows 10 ver 1903/1909 clients

Windows 2016 DC on which Folder Redirection GP is set up

A shared folder on a Windows 2008R2 for path redirection

Two weeks ago, suddenly the Windows 10 clients cannot run msi files that point to \\fileserver\profiles$\%username%\appdata\roaming\

they get an error saying " an error occurred while attempting to create the directory" (see above)

During June 2020 there was a Windows update for Windows 2016 "KB4561616" which solves exactly the problem we have. i installed it on all three DCs which had downloaded it, but didn't solve the issue. Searching for a relevant update for Windows 2008R2 didn't found similar issues.

Has anyone experienced this lately?

Thanks in advance

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 10:24 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for posting in our TechNet forum.

According to your description, the file server is Windows 2008 R2. As we know, support for Windows Server 2008 R2 ended. That means regular security updates have also ended. So it is suggested that we could update the server to the supported version. 

When the error occurred, could the user still access the shared folder? Besides, does this error happen to all the users or some users? Does this error occur on all the Windows 10 clients or some clients?

For any question, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 6:06 AM
  • Hello,

thanks for replying.

i know the server is not supported and we have already prepared a Windows 2016 to replace it.

for the moment, we have to work with this one.

When the error appears, the user can access the folder fine, he can create a file in his documents for example and it will appear in the fileserver.

the problem is when they try to run msi files that point to their appdata folder in the server.it affects all users and all Windows 10 pcs.

i just can't find a proper way to troubleshoot this.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 6:29 AM
  • the correct path on which the clients seem to have lost access is

\\fileserver\profiles$\%username%\appdata\roaming\windows\installer

Wednesday, July 8, 2020 10:56 AM
  • Hello,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

As far as I understand, if the clients could not access the path \\fileserver\profiles$\%username%\appdata\roaming\windows\installer, they will not be able to run msi file and install the apps. 

If we created another dedicated shared folder such as \\fileserver\shared folder, could they be able to run msi files? 

For any question, please feel free to contact us.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 13, 2020 6:02 AM
  • Hello,

Does this question have any update or has this issue been solved? Also, for the question, is there any other assistance we could provide?

Thank you so much for your time and support.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Thursday, July 16, 2020 5:04 AM
  • Hello,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you so much for your time and support.

Best regards,
    Hannah Xiong

Monday, July 20, 2020 1:52 AM