none
Recommendations For PageFile and Hibernation File On SSD RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Win8 on a new SSD.  I understand that Win8 detects for a SSD drive and optimizes accordingly.  However, since SSD drives have more limited writes than a mechanical drive, I am interested in moving the paging file to a mechanical drive (I have multiple drives on this computer).  I also have 24gb of RAM on this computer, and so I don't want to waste this space on a SSD.  I have some questions regarding the paging and hibernation files:

1. Is it safe to remove/0 out the paging file on the primary system C: (SSD), as long as I put either a System Managed or appropriately sized (1.5 times the amount of physical RAM) on the mechanical drives?  I do not plan to use full memory dumps in the event of a BSOD - I have set the "System Failure" area to only store "Small Memory Dumps".
    2. As I understand it, Win7 did not allow the hibernation file to be moved from the primary volume due to the way the bootloader operated (based on something I read on some other sites).  Does Win8 allow the hibernation file to be moved?

Note that I am not attempting to turn off the paging and hibernation files since I understand that they are needed - I am just looking to relocate these files.

Thanks!

• Edited by Aakash Shah Sunday, December 2, 2012 11:51 PM
    Sunday, December 2, 2012 11:25 PM

Answers

• there is no official source, but it is suggested here in the forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/19d96eb1-669c-4605-8d63-7337f1c09084

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:29 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• 1.) yes it is safe.

2.) the same limit applies to Windows 8. You can't move the hibernation file. But you can resize the hibernation file to 50%.

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:09 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks Andre!  Windows warns me when I attempt to zero out the paging file on the system volume.  Is there any official documentation or forum by a Microsoft employee that has more information about this?

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:13 AM
  • there is no official source, but it is suggested here in the forums:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/19d96eb1-669c-4605-8d63-7337f1c09084

Monday, December 3, 2012 6:29 AM
    Answerer