Need expert advice - Can't get past "Verifying DMI pool data" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, looking for some expert help. Just built a new machine-and so may have attached a drive incorrectly-and attempting to install Vista. The OS installs fine from DVD but then cannot boot from the hard drive. The BIOS says it is "Verifying DMI pool data" but then is unable to boot.

I've attempted the Vista installation repair process but it didn't find any errors to repair. Have also skipped installing updates and gone directly to rebooting. This seems to point toward the BIOS as the issue, but I'm not well-informed on how this works. Perhaps an incorrect BIOS setting or improperly attached disk?

Finally, I now have a bunch of Windows.old files languishing on my drive. How can these be deleted?
    Friday, December 28, 2007 3:38 PM

Answers

• Try these in order:

1. If you may of changed it, make sure under HDDs you have it on [Auto] which should be the defualt.

2. Look in your BIOS menu, most likely under UPnP for "Reset Configuration Data" or "Force Update ESCD" and enable it. After you reboot it will automaticly be disabled again.

3. Reset your CMOS on the motherboard.

4. Turn off your computer, (then power it off from the power supply for safety) unplug all unnecesary hardware you dont need to boot, like DVD drive, USB devices, even the mouse, but leave the keyboard then try boot.

5. Unlikely you will need to make it to this step: Flash the BIOS but be prepared to brick it.

Friday, December 28, 2007 10:25 PM