none
Application installation stops at first DT and wont install dependency RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I don't know if im just stupid and don't understand how a dependency should work but i have a problem. So, I'm deploying an application that just needs to do two things. Copy 3 files to a directory and add an regedit. I created a simple .cmd script that dose an xcopy of the three files to the directory on the client. For this to work i need that to be installed as system. The regedit needs to be under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software so that needs to be installed as user for otherwise that regedit will not be under HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

I created two deployment types in the application. One for the regedit and one for the xcopy. I then set the xcopy DT as an dependency for the regedit DT. When I run the application on the client it installs the first DT (regedit) fine but then call it quits. The log says that sccm thinks the deployment is done after the first DT and then won't install the second DT.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here and help me on my way?

Friday, November 22, 2019 11:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It's best not to create multiple deployment types like this in the same application. You will come across all sorts of issues and uninstalling will fail too.

Instead create two applications, each with a single deployment type.  Set the HKCU application to run as the user and set it to have a dependancy of the other application running in system context. Deploy the HKCU application out to users.

It will work fine.

Another option:

I like to use the Powershell Appdeployment Toolkit for everything these days. It has nice functions built in that let you install things for users even when the application is set to run in system context. This way you can have a single application \ single deployment type and everyting gets delivered.

Another option:

Master Packager

https://www.masterpackager.com/

It will let you create a simple MSI that delivers everything, they have an inbuilt feature that lets you run \ add user based things without using active setup! I think there next blog is going to demonstrate it according to a twitter post :)

The free version does all the above and much more.

Under pre-defined custom actions:

Richard Knight | Collection Refresh Manager | Automate detection rules for patch \ msp files | Twitter

Friday, November 22, 2019 12:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's best not to create multiple deployment types like this in the same application. You will come across all sorts of issues and uninstalling will fail too.

Instead create two applications, each with a single deployment type.  Set the HKCU application to run as the user and set it to have a dependancy of the other application running in system context. Deploy the HKCU application out to users.

It will work fine.

Another option:

I like to use the Powershell Appdeployment Toolkit for everything these days. It has nice functions built in that let you install things for users even when the application is set to run in system context. This way you can have a single application \ single deployment type and everyting gets delivered.

Another option:

Master Packager

https://www.masterpackager.com/

It will let you create a simple MSI that delivers everything, they have an inbuilt feature that lets you run \ add user based things without using active setup! I think there next blog is going to demonstrate it according to a twitter post :)

The free version does all the above and much more.

Under pre-defined custom actions:

Richard Knight | Collection Refresh Manager | Automate detection rules for patch \ msp files | Twitter

Friday, November 22, 2019 12:09 PM
  • To tack onto what Richard said, this is by design. What you are trying to do is not supported (although it has worked in the past even though it shouldn't have). The intention of deployment types is that one and only one will ever run in a single Application.

There are multiple ways to add values to the user's registry hive while running as the local system including using the PSADT as Richard noted.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

• Proposed as answer by Richard.Knight Friday, November 22, 2019 2:31 PM
    Friday, November 22, 2019 1:52 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I downloaded Master Packer yesterday and played around. I can already say that Master Packer is going to be a big help for us in the future!

Tuesday, November 26, 2019 9:51 AM