SP2 causes system to crash and reboot not possible RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an HP Pavillion DV2616tx (14.4" notebook, 3gb ram, Vista Home Premium)

I recently had my computer install SP2 as an automatic update.  Shortly after rebooting (as required by SP2 installation) and logging in, I had only a few programs actively open (McAfee Virusscan, Firefox 3.?, Windows Live Messenger, WordWeb Pro - just a small dictionary app).  Then the screen had some short yellow bars appear over it, and the mouse cursor became all distorted (ie looked like mixed up pixels rather than an arrow).  Within 2 seconds the screen went entirely black and although the HDD light on the notebook was active the screen remained black.  Once the HDD light stopped I hardbooted the computer.  It went to the black screen.  I tried this 3-4 times and eventually it went to some recovery console before booting Vista which uninstalled recent updates (ie Vista SP2).  The computer then worked fine. 

I ran Windows Update manually to download SP2 and again the same problem occured. 

So I went through the same process to get the system running again.  I thought I would manually download SP2 from the microsoft website so that I was not having to download the 350 mb or so file and try running applications manually to see if i could identify the culprit.

I installed SP2 from the file I downloaded manually from the Microsoft website.  The same problem occured causing the screen to go black.  This time however I do not get the recovery console allowing me to uninstall SP2.  Everytime I power off the computer and power it back on the screen is black, there is no bios screen (ie the one which says press del, f8, etc etc for various things) it just goes to the black screen, the HDD light appears momentarily (maybe 10-15 sec) and then goes out.  I have tried leaving the computer on for 1-2 hours after powering it on and the screen just remains black.

The problem I have is now I cannot even access the bios, let alone anything to do with vista.

I am fairly certain there were no viruses/spyware/malware on the machine as after the first crash, I decided to run a scan with superantispyware (i think it is called), malwarebytes anti-malware, mcafee virusscan (with anti-spyware plug in).  Only Mcafee was running in the back ground, the other two programs are installed but I only run them when i feel the need to do a scan.  Only mcafee picked up any problems, which was just 2 tracking cookies in firefox.

I have everything backed up at 1 week ago on an external HDD...

where should I go from here??

thanks ppl :)
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:31 AM

All replies

• just to clarify, the install of SP2 completes.  IIRC stage 1 and 2 complete, computer reboots, stage 3 completes, log in screen presents, I log in, and after 2-3 minutes the screen has the distortion (overlay of yellow horizontal bars) and then goes into black screen.
    Monday, June 15, 2009 10:47 AM