none
Updates failing on windows 7 due to system administrator controlling pc RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot download updates for my windows 7 starter due to system administrator controlling this issue.  How do i sort this problem?
    Monday, March 7, 2016 6:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Cyber_Defend_Team,

In order to assist you with current problem, we need to know more information.

Which kind of user account you used to logon now?

The Windows update setting can only be changed by administrator account, we need logon with an administrator account to change the setting.

If you mean that you cannot change the Windows Update setting and it says “Some settings are managed by your system administrator”.

Since you are using a Windows 7 Starter, we could try to change the setting by modifying registry key.

Registry key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU AUOptions

Set its value to any of following according to your requirements:

2 (To notify for download and notify for install)

3 (To auto download and notify for install)

4 (To auto download and schedule the install)

5 (To allow local admin to choose setting)

If I have misunderstood, please feel free to let me know that.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:22 AM

All replies

• Is your PC part of the domain or company network?

Since when this issue started?

Monday, March 7, 2016 6:46 PM
  • Hi Cyber_Defend_Team,

In order to assist you with current problem, we need to know more information.

Which kind of user account you used to logon now?

The Windows update setting can only be changed by administrator account, we need logon with an administrator account to change the setting.

If you mean that you cannot change the Windows Update setting and it says “Some settings are managed by your system administrator”.

Since you are using a Windows 7 Starter, we could try to change the setting by modifying registry key.

Registry key path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU AUOptions

Set its value to any of following according to your requirements:

2 (To notify for download and notify for install)

3 (To auto download and notify for install)

4 (To auto download and schedule the install)

5 (To allow local admin to choose setting)

If I have misunderstood, please feel free to let me know that.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 8, 2016 10:22 AM