none
Freeze after waking up from "sleep" with Hyper-V installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After installing Hyper-V, my PC freezes every time it wakes up from "sleep". No guests is running. If I remove Hyper-V, everything goes back to normal.

My system's CPU is AMD Phenom II X4 945.

Below are partial info obtained via SystemInfo.

System Manufacturer:       Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    System Model:              GA-MA770T-US3
    System Type:               x64-based PC
    Processor(s):              1 Processor(s) Installed.
                               [01]: AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3 AuthenticAMD ~3000 Mhz
    BIOS Version:              Award Software International, Inc. F6, 3/8/2010
    Windows Directory:         C:\Windows

Hyper-V Requirements: VM Monitor Mode Extensions: Yes Virtualization Enabled In Firmware: Yes Second Level Address Translation: Yes Data Execution Prevention Available: Yes

Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:33 AM

All replies

• Gigabyte MB, not surprising.

Does your MB have USB3?  If so, try disabling it and see if that resolves it.  Also, make sure you've got the latest BIOS updates.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

No USB3 and it's on the latest BIOS version.

Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:05 AM
  • If the board supports C-States, disable it as well.

Brian Ehlert
    http://ITProctology.blogspot.com
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.
    Disclaimer: Attempting change is of your own free will.

Monday, September 17, 2012 4:23 PM
  • No C-States too. If I change the power management to S1, then it would wake up fine but the system won't enter total sleep mode, meaning, the fans and etc keeps running. If I change it to S3, then it won't wake up (no problem when Hyper-V is uninstalled).
    Monday, November 19, 2012 3:22 PM
  • I have seen so many problems reported in these forums on Gigabyte mobos that I know what type to avoid if I build my own system. <grin>  Thanks for the heads up.

tim

Monday, November 19, 2012 6:54 PM
  • There are quite a few threads on the VMW forums about GB mb's and problems with ESXi too.  Seems they just don't have a good BIOS for hypervisors on every model of their mbs.
    • Edited by essjae Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:39 AM a
    Monday, November 19, 2012 7:29 PM
  • I have a gigabyte mb on my main PC, but it works great, so it's not
    all of their boards.  It may be the new USB3 controller causing all
    this grief...

Mine's an AMD mb and no USB3...

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Monday, November 19, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Same issues on my GA-MA790X-UD3P.  With hyper-v installed my sleep doesn't function anymore.  Is there a bug open to track this?
    Friday, November 23, 2012 5:38 PM
  • Same here, After installing Hyper-V no correct wakeup after sleep (S5).

System Windows 8 Pro, upgraded from windows 7 Ultimate. After the upgrade the sleep mode was working fine, however it stopped working after enabling Hyper-V.

Looks like I have to buy a VMWare license :-(.

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 5:57 PM
  • I have the same problem with a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H with an AMD Phenom quad-core.  After upgrading from Windows 7 Ultimate, I troubleshot it by "refreshing PC" and then installing one feature or program at a time, testing Sleep after each.  Hyper-V is the culprit that broke Sleep -- won't wake up when installed; will wake up when removed from features.  (Previously, I suspected chipset drivers from AMD or Gigabyte, but that wasn't the problem.)

Specifically, the computer seems to wake up as it powers on and has disk activity (which stops), but the monitor stays on standby and the computer isn't accessible on the network.

[Addendum]  I toggled the AMD C1E Support in BIOS, no difference and learned that's not the same thing as Intel processor C-States anyway.

But interestingly, after Hyper-v feature is installed, when I disable Virtualization in the BIOS, the computer will sleep and wake fine.  However, starting the virtual machine fails with an error window about the hypervisor not running (not unexpected).  So, both hardware assistance needs to be enabled and Hyper-V feature installed to exhibit the wake from sleep hang.

I wonder if Microsoft will improve Hyper-V on Windows 8 to the point it doesn't require hardware assistance like they did with Windows Virtual PC for Windows 7.  I'm not sure, but I think I read that Server 2012 doesn't have that hardware requirement?

• Edited by Mick Mickle Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:27 PM Additional Info
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:54 AM
  • No, I think we can point the finger at Gigabyte BIOSes.  The common thread here is Gigabyte MBs.

If it was Hyper-V, why do other AMD boards work, and Intel?

I've got 2 AMD based systems, Athlon II X4 640 and FX-8120 on Asus boards that have no problem sleeping and waking up with Win8 Hyper-V.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 5:32 PM
  • The other thing here is C-States.

Many of us are in the practice of disabling the deep sleep states simply because they cause problems.

There was also a historic poor sleep state implementation from Intel that trickled into many BIOSes, which caused many of us to make this practice.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 8:57 PM
  • Brian,

I did a little research on C-States, not knowing anything about them, after seeing your first post. I learned they're used in both Intel and AMD CPUs, but I couldn't find anything in my motherboard BIOS that seemed to relate.  Above the Virtualization setting in Advanced BIOS Features (Award BIOS), there's an AMD C1E Support setting, but http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Everything-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-CPU-C-States-Power-Saving-Modes/611/2 says that "AMD uses the name C1E for a completely different thing." And wake hangs no matter what that C1E setting is.  I know it's a lot to ask, but if you have a few moments would you confirm whether you see a real C-State setting I should disable in the manual?  http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-ma785g(p)m-ud(s)2h_e.pdf

Thanks,

Mick Mickle

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:21 PM
  • C-States are also known as the S1 or S3 sleep settings in some BIOSes.

How deeply the BIOS allows the OS to go into Sleep and in turn the various ways that it is handled.

The problem is never on the going to sleep part, it is always on the waking up part.  Basically, the OS goes too deeply into sleep.

C-States is specifically related to processor specific portions of the S1, S3 sleep implementation.

This is one of those things that has been around for a long time, but never implemented in the hardware, so the OS never worried about it.  Suddenly the OSes are aware of it because AMD / Intel has told them it is there and to use it.  When not all of the manufacturers of the other dependent components are caught up.

The OS released in 2012.  If your hardware didn't also release in 2011 (not purchased but designed and built) then you most likely have an older implementation of something.

Brian Ehlert
    Learn. Apply. Repeat.

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Thanks for explaining.  If I fully understand, then, you'd have to disable both S1 and S3 to preclude adverse issues. (And Win 8 would be able to put the computer to sleep anyway?)  Unfortunately, this BIOS must be set at either S1 or S3, and as the OP said, S1 hibernates instead of sleeps. Looking at the docs for another AMD computer I have with an Asus motherboard, I see it has a setting to disable ACPI entirely.  I suppose that would have been the setting I'd need to disable the C-States in this case.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:43 PM
  • it would be useful to post the model of motherboard so i can consider its known issues

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

In earlier post: Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:49 PM
  • Seems indeed a Gigabyte issue, just replaced this motherboard with a Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2. Hyper-V is working fine now as is the sleep mode.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:35 AM
  • Which Gigabyte MB?

I am compiling of list of working/nonworking boards. http://smudj.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/windows-8-hyper-v-motherboards/

I added your Sabretooth to the working list.

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 6:47 PM
  • Hi Steve,

The not Hyper-V compatible Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4

Thursday, February 14, 2013 9:16 AM
  • Hi! I have an MSI K9A2 CF motherboard and the same problem here. (Latest bios, no C1E option, no usb3, Windows 8 Pro x64 with Hyper-V)

• Edited by Visormail Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 4:35 PM
  • Which Gigabyte MB?

I am compiling of list of working/nonworking boards. http://smudj.wordpress.com/2013/02/05/windows-8-hyper-v-motherboards/

I added your Sabretooth to the working list.

For AMD systems, AM3 and AM3+ CPUs support SLAT which is needed for Hyper-V

Windows MVP, XP, Vista, 7 and 8. More people have climbed Everest than having 3 MVP's on the wall.

Hardcore Games, Legendary is the only Way to Play

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Yes, I am aware of that. But guess what?  Not all MBs have a working implementation of HV in the BIOS.  You can look at the forums and see the multiple issues there are with Gigabyte MBs, even though they may be running an i7 or AMD AM3 CPU. Example: Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4 which is a socket AM3 motherboard has major issues with Win8 Hyper-V.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:09 PM
  • Once you've tested the Gigabyte MBs that have been reported let me know if you have resolved the issues.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 10:27 PM
  • I have the exact same problem with an ASUS mainboard (M3N78 Pro) with a Phenom X4 9950 (AM2+), on Win8 x64.

Before I speak, I have something important to say.

Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:20 AM
  • Same problems with an Asus P9x79 Pro, 4502 UEFI.
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 1:29 AM
  • Old thread, but still a topic. I encountered same problem on a Asus TUF X299 Mark I. I found my solution digging google and mainboard-specific forums. In AI Tweaker (Asus) I disabled something like "PLL Overvoltage" (notation varies) in Bios, also turned off "Link State Power Management" in Windows power options. I didn't have to change anythiing about C-states. After that my Monitor shows up again after wakeup, PC was turning on after sleep - this was my specific problem.

Friday, February 23, 2018 9:46 AM