none
Secondary monitor - turn off - disable windows from opening on it

Question

• I use both of my dual monitors for development work and have a bunch of folders and other things open on the secondary monitor when I am working on stuff.

When I stop working on stuff I usually just turn the second monitor off to save power as it is otherwise completely unused.

The problem then is that windows and other things like to open on my second monitor because that is where it was last used and I have to constantly move things back to the main screen to use them.

I don't want everything that is currently on the secondary monitor to move to the primary when I shut it off, but I just don't want to keep having to turn the secondary monitor on to move things back.

Is there anything I can use to prevent windows from opening up on monitors that are turned off?
    Saturday, January 2, 2010 2:30 AM

Answers

• This may not work for you, but with my laptop, I can turn off and disable my 2nd extended monitor by typing Windows-P on the keyboard.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by EXreaction Monday, January 4, 2010 11:23 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hello,

You can use third-party tool to control the position of applications with shortcuts. Refer the following article:

http://helpdeskgeek.com/free-tools-review/best-dual-monitor-software/
    Thomas77
    Monday, January 4, 2010 10:02 AM
  • This may not work for you, but with my laptop, I can turn off and disable my 2nd extended monitor by typing Windows-P on the keyboard.

If this was helpful, please vote. If it solves the issue, please click Propose as Answer. Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by EXreaction Monday, January 4, 2010 11:23 PM
    Monday, January 4, 2010 6:59 PM
  • That works, thanks.
    Monday, January 4, 2010 11:23 PM
  • You are a genius. What an entirely simple conclusion to a most annoying issue. I have a 24" monitor as primary and 55" LED HDTV going through my AV receiver via HDMI as secondary. For a couple months now I have searched for a way to resolve the problem of power going to the HDTV. Whenever I change sources or the HDTV would turn off, sometimes while I'm working, I would lose my main monitor. I fixed losing the monitor, but would always have to turn the HDTV back on to reclaim any windows I had open when it turned off. As popular as multiple monitors are today, of course no one ever had this problem or an answer to it. Your Windows-P command has kept me from losing my hair. Thank You very much for this, responses such as these make forums worth having.  
    Saturday, March 5, 2011 8:30 PM

where to type the Windows-P ? I using a Dell computor
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:12 AM
  • While holding down the winLogo.jpg (18×18) button on your keyboard, press the P key until the option you want is selected on-screen.

Shawn Keene

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:05 PM
  • Worked for my windows 8 desktop! 
    Sunday, September 8, 2013 7:14 PM
  • In the case of u don't want everything that is currently on the secondary monitor to move to the primary, u can use the shortcut "Windows+Arrow Keys"(Keyboard Windows Key+Arrow Keys) to move only windows u need from the secondary monitor to the primary, that prevents u from install third part software if u don't actually need.

Even if the windows are actually in the second monitor they permanency actives in  windows task bar, you can select windows that you want move from here or using Windowns+Tab.

• Edited by Bahikka Monday, October 21, 2013 4:10 PM Missed Information
    Monday, October 21, 2013 4:06 PM
  • ty the guy who pose the answer u saved my live 
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 8:15 AM
  • So, I should disable my monitor every time I turn it off. This is the first version I have had this problem with. Windows 10 continually, will open things on my second monitor, even if they were never on that monitor.

Thursday, February 25, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Tip : I just googled and found this page.  My monitor, at least, goes into power save if I disable it.  So I don't ever need to turn it off - just enable and disable it in windows.  It draws only a trickle of power in power save, not enough to worry about.
    Saturday, July 9, 2016 9:45 AM
  • Actually most people would understand "holding the window button and hit P"

It took me  a minute to figure it out what you meant and then I read more post and was able to make it work.

Sunday, July 17, 2016 1:52 PM
  • This is perfect!!! Thanks very much.

Thanks, Sachin Jagtap

Monday, August 14, 2017 9:32 AM

This worked great.  You can also do it in Windows 10 by clicking on the notification icon in the system tray (bottom far right) and click on project.  If project is not there, click on the word "expand" and it should show up.  Its the same menu as Win+P but of course Win+P is faster.
    Friday, December 1, 2017 2:11 PM

Both my work and home PCs are dual monitor. I remote on daily basis each of them (it's my business, and I work from home too) and have a habit to turn off the monitors when I don't use them. If I do that Windows 10 disables dual monitor setup and I only have one monitor when I remote in. Windows 7 doesn't do that. Any ideas?
    Friday, December 8, 2017 6:13 PM
  • This is not a solution!!!

I have opende Outlook on second monitor and when it goes off it moves outlook to main monitor.

I never left an open problem....I search, dig and ask, until it's solved....

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 9:51 AM
  • Thank you
    Saturday, May 18, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Microsoft/Windows/has a utility called: Windows Media Professional Exhibitor

Its specifically for 2 or more monitors running at the same time..Microsoft might have retired it,but it was created with Windows Media Encoder 9 series..It will run solo w/o the encoder installed.Use youre web search engine for it,it is a small but effective utility...

Sunday, May 19, 2019 11:04 AM