none
Windows backup Error Code: 0x8007007B RRS feed

• Question

• I upgraded to windows 7 home premium about 3 days ago and been trying to back up my files using back up and restore but it never get completed with error ox8007007b. I've tried everything thats been suggested in microsoft anwers forum but still could not resolve the issue
    Friday, March 18, 2011 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Backup error 0x8007007B: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect”.

Please go to service and check Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup service are started and set to automatic.

And it’s a possible that  the file name or volume label has special characters. System does not accept some special characters like “<>?/;=-”, please correct it.

If the issue persists, I suggest login with Clean Boot, also you can create another user account to login and check if the same issue occurs.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Backup error 0x8007007B: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect”.

Please go to service and check Volume Shadow Copy and Windows Backup service are started and set to automatic.

And it’s a possible that  the file name or volume label has special characters. System does not accept some special characters like “<>?/;=-”, please correct it.

If the issue persists, I suggest login with Clean Boot, also you can create another user account to login and check if the same issue occurs.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Leo   Huang

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, March 22, 2011 9:29 AM
  • I was getting this as well.  Everything I read said to go to restore point, uncheck old "C" volumes, turn on configuration for new volumes, and then recreate a new fresh restore point.  That all seemed good, and I did it all.  but I still got 0x8007007B when trying to run a backup.  I then found a thread stating that the windows volume must be active to back it up.  WARNING Read to end b4 trying!!!  So I did that, I went into computer management and selected my windows 10 volume and right clicked -> set to active.  Rebooted.  Whoops, windows will not boot.  Thankfully I have a repair disk.  I booted up to the dvd and tried troubleshoot.  It failed.  so I went into the command prompt.  I ran   bootrec /rebuildbcd    a moment later it says it has two partitions.  the first was /gobbleygook/volx/system/0/idunno/odd/stuff.   So I selected "n" for not selecting that volume.  Next up was "Windows 10", I pressed "y" to select that volume.  when done, I rebooted (removing dvd).  Voila, system rebooted... AND yuppers... windows backup now is backing up to my WD My book external HD.

-Steve

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 9:24 AM