none
How to get system and boot on one volume - currently on 2 volumes RRS feed

• Question

• I have ended up with 2 hard drives one of which has Windows 7 on one partition and the other one has 2 volumes each with Windows 8.1 installed.  This 8.1 drive has one volume (D) marked as Active, Boot and the other volume (C) marked as System.   I want to make the C volume Active System and Boot and have the D volume for storage only.    I need to make this change without losing data on either volume.   Can this be done, if so which of the many partition operations is the appropriate one.  Would a free download such as EasUS be able to do it?
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:01 AM

Answers

• Thanks for the reply.   I have managed to accomplish this by hiding one partition, refreshing the remaining partition and then restoring the hidden partition.   So I now have a hard disk with 2 partitions, one being Windows 8.1 -Boot, System, Active and the other one with a status of 'None'.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:50 AM

All replies

• I have ended up with 2 hard drives one of which has Windows 7 on one partition and the other one has 2 volumes each with Windows 8.1 installed.  This 8.1 drive has one volume (D) marked as Active, Boot and the other volume (C) marked as System.   I want to make the C volume Active System and Boot and have the D volume for storage only.    I need to make this change without losing data on either volume.   Can this be done, if so which of the many partition operations is the appropriate one.  Would a free download such as EasUS be able to do it?
    Sorry error in original description - Volume C is Boot and volume D is Active System.
    Tuesday, May 20, 2014 8:25 AM
  • It’s hard to transfer Windows system directly from one disk to another.

I actually don’t understand what you want to do, you can post a screenshot of the disk management just like below:

If you have any other problems, you can post back.

Regards

v-yamliu

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 5:49 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.   I have managed to accomplish this by hiding one partition, refreshing the remaining partition and then restoring the hidden partition.   So I now have a hard disk with 2 partitions, one being Windows 8.1 -Boot, System, Active and the other one with a status of 'None'.
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 7:50 AM