none
Server 2019 RDS Farm RRS feed

• Question

• Ave,

I operate some 20+ VM's with Server 2019, at the front of them there's a pair of IIS Gateway & Connection Broker servers that manage the remote desktop services collections and the login/traffic. All fairly normal.

I've just added a new server into the collections, and it appeared to deploy just fine. When I login to the gateway via browser, I can see the new VM's RDP link. However, when I download the RDP link, the server address hasn't been populated.

None of the other links have this issue.

Any thoughts on how to quickly debug / fix - I'd like to avoid having to undo/redo the whole collection if possible?

Cheers.

Friday, November 8, 2019 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In general, we add new RD SH to existing collection via below steps:
    1. Add RD SH to Server Manager -> on RD CB, open Server Manager – All Servers – Add Servers, add this new server to Server Manager. 
    2. Add RD SH to RDS deployment -> on RD CB, open Server Manager – Remote Desktop Services – Overview – Deployment Overview – right click RD Session Host and click to add RD Session Host.
    3. Add RD SH to collection -> on RD CB, open Server Manager – Remote Desktop Services - <collection name> - HOST SERVICERS – TASKS – Add RD Session Host Servers.

Then, new RD SH should be working. Please check above steps one by one. If problem persists, delete and remove the session host form RDS deployment and try to re-add it to check the result.

Besides, please try to using different Browser such as IE, Edge, Chrome to access RD Web Access and check the result. 

If problem persists, please provide relate screenshot about the RDC window when click the VM via web access browser. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 6:48 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:40 AM
  • Hi Eve,

Turns out it's stranger than I originally thought.

During my investigation, I realised the RDP file was smaller than expected, opening it up in Notepad++ I found that not only was the RDS address missing, but the SSL key was also missing. Bringing the file size from what should have been 10KB, down to 1KB.

I accessed the RDS gateway from an off-domain PC that evening, and the RDP file downloaded fine. Perfectly intact.

The next morning, back in the office, tried again, and the file was intact again.

Whatever the issue was, it appears (for now at least) to have been temporary. I'm at a loss to explain it, especially as when the issue originally arose, I had attempted the download from multiple on-domain PC's, eliminating a local browser cache issue. My only working theory is -possibly- our endpoint solution, but I've checked with that provider, and they can't provide any insight.

So right now it's all working as designed.

Thursday, November 14, 2019 7:33 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your desktop explanation. If such problem happens again, we can try to check RDS relate event, on both client and RDS system, location such as below:
    Event Viewer -> Applications and Services Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> TerminalServices and RemoteDesktopServices

Also, about such problem we can also using tool such as Process Monitor to capture detail process.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post on the forum.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, November 20, 2019 7:32 AM