none
What is the ip address of the access point of the WSFC used for ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi 

The subnet is 192.168.251.0/24 ,  and I fill in 192.168.251.25 for the ip address of the access point of the WSFC.

After the cluster successful installed , I find out that " Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapter" is installed on both cluster nodes.

But its ip is '169.254.2.x' . I thought that "192.168.251.25" should be config on either one node ( master node) .

Is there something wrong or whether I do not understood it  correctly .

In linux world, there is a software called "keepalived" ,which is mainly manage the VIP(virtual IP) between the cluster nodes.

Is the  "ip address of the access point of the WSFC"  the same user case like that ?

if not , is there any implement similar as "keepalived" in windows world ?

Thank you !

Thursday, November 21, 2019 7:58 AM

Answers

• The assigned IP is 'owned' by a single node of the cluster at any point in time.  The ownership can change, either by manually moving it to another node or automatically if the owning node should fail.  Yes, the IP address is the access point for management of the cluster.  Yes, there is a keepalive or heartbeat maintained for the cluster.

tim

• Marked as answer by sosogh Friday, November 29, 2019 3:10 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Hi ,

>>According to your reply , as I understood , 192.168.251.25 should be config on either one node by WSFC?    But in my case , it is **not** config on any node . 

I am a bit confused about what you mean. As Tim said, the assigned IP is 'owned' by a single node of the cluster at any point in time. 

>>After rebooting the nodes , there is another problem , Failover Cluster Manager not showing any clusters.

Please click on connect to the cluster. What's the error message?

And you could run Get-clusternode to check the node state.

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:41 AM
  • "But in my case , it is **not** config on any node ."

What do you mean by "config on any node"?  If you expect to see it by opening network management on a physical NIC of the cluster, then, no, you will not see it.  The configuration is handled by the cluster software, as it is a virtual IP address that floats to the owning node.

"After rebooting the nodes , there is another problem , Failover Cluster Manager not showing any clusters."

Did you configure the cluster?  Installing the cluster feature is the first step.  Once you have installed the feature, you need to configure the nodes into a cluster.  Even before configuring the cluster, it is a good idea to run the cluster validation wizard against the nodes you plan to place into a cluster.  This will highlight anything you might need to resolve before you actually put the nodes into a cluster.

tim

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:21 PM

All replies

• The assigned IP is 'owned' by a single node of the cluster at any point in time.  The ownership can change, either by manually moving it to another node or automatically if the owning node should fail.  Yes, the IP address is the access point for management of the cluster.  Yes, there is a keepalive or heartbeat maintained for the cluster.

tim

• Marked as answer by sosogh Friday, November 29, 2019 3:10 AM
    Thursday, November 21, 2019 2:07 PM
  • Thank you for your reply .   According to your reply , as I understood , 192.168.251.25 should be config on either one node by WSFC?    But in my case , it is **not** config on any node .  

After rebooting the nodes , there is another problem , Failover Cluster Manager not showing any clusters.

I have read this post , and check that "server" service is running , but it does not show any cluster .

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/cf0917fd-cd39-4d86-99ae-51d1ad599a94/failover-cluster-manager-not-showing-any-clusters?forum=winserverClustering

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:32 AM
  • Hi ,

>>According to your reply , as I understood , 192.168.251.25 should be config on either one node by WSFC?    But in my case , it is **not** config on any node . 

I am a bit confused about what you mean. As Tim said, the assigned IP is 'owned' by a single node of the cluster at any point in time. 

>>After rebooting the nodes , there is another problem , Failover Cluster Manager not showing any clusters.

Please click on connect to the cluster. What's the error message?

And you could run Get-clusternode to check the node state.

Best Regards,

Candy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

Friday, November 22, 2019 8:41 AM
  • "But in my case , it is **not** config on any node ."

What do you mean by "config on any node"?  If you expect to see it by opening network management on a physical NIC of the cluster, then, no, you will not see it.  The configuration is handled by the cluster software, as it is a virtual IP address that floats to the owning node.

"After rebooting the nodes , there is another problem , Failover Cluster Manager not showing any clusters."

Did you configure the cluster?  Installing the cluster feature is the first step.  Once you have installed the feature, you need to configure the nodes into a cluster.  Even before configuring the cluster, it is a good idea to run the cluster validation wizard against the nodes you plan to place into a cluster.  This will highlight anything you might need to resolve before you actually put the nodes into a cluster.

tim

Friday, November 22, 2019 1:21 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful.

Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Candy

Monday, November 25, 2019 1:45 AM
  • Hi ,

You could mark the useful reply as answer if you want to end this thread up.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Candy

Thursday, November 28, 2019 1:57 AM
  • Thank you for all of your replies .

In fact , it is my mistake , I do not verify it carefully .

My cluster :
    1.  has two nodes (VM),  both of them has two network cards , one for application , one for iscsi  (for Quorum Disk )
    2.  these two network cards are both in the same CIDR 192.168.251.x/24

I answer my questions :

>>  The cluster VIP 192.168.251.25 is **not** config on any node
    1.  In fact ,it is config on the iscsi network card instead of application network card .
    2.  The VIP is only can be found via cmd ipconfig /all ,  you can not find it via "Ethernet properties" GUI.

>> Failover Cluster Manager not showing any clusters
    Yes , it is not shown , But you can connect it  via "connect to cluster"
    • Edited by sosogh Friday, November 29, 2019 3:23 AM typo
    Friday, November 29, 2019 3:04 AM