Avicode - Reporting Services Asking me to Restart Service Constantly RRS feed

• Question

• I recently deployed Avicode 5.7 and the SQL Server Reporting Services monitoring MP.

However I don't believe the product is truly monitoring the activity yet.  I know the Avicode agent has been deployed.  I believe the problem is surfacing around the following event I see in the Operations Manager event log on the two SSRS servers I have deployed Avicode agents to.

AVIcode Reporting Management Pack for OpsMgr 2007 : Reporting Server monitoring settings were applied to Enterprise .Net Monitoring Agent
    Changes in the settings will only take effect after Reporting Service MSSQLSERVER restart.

I have restarted the MSSQLSERVER service on both of the machines several times each and yet I still see this error.  I believe it might be legitimate because I don't see any errors for some of the SCOM reports I ran that took over 2 minutes to return data (trying to generate errors through this method for testing).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thursday, May 12, 2011 2:06 PM

Answers

• As in code in the reports if there are custom. Is the SSRS discovered into OpsMgr? Are you seeing the correct event raised into the SEViewer? Try dropping the Thresholds to a low level incase there are no real issues

Simon Skinner MVP www.systemcentercentral.com
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:12 PM

All replies

• As a note this was happening every two minutes which just happened to correspond to the fact I sped up the Reporting Services 2008 Avicode discovery that is running every 4 hours by default.  I removed the override and now I see the event every 4 hours but it is still concerning.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 12:45 PM
  • To monitor an application, the application must restart. SQL Reporting Services runs partially in IIS so you would need to restart IIS before collecting data.
    Shawn Gibbs
    Monday, May 16, 2011 9:19 AM
  • Sean is correct to say that the SSRS Service needs to be restarted. However have you done any SSRS coding to monitor or are you just looking at the standard coding?
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 1:50 PM
  • Sean is correct to say that the SSRS Service needs to be restarted. However have you done any SSRS coding to monitor or are you just looking at the standard coding?

I'm not sure what you mean by "coding" but custom reports are being developed and deployed to this instance of SSRS.  I do see events in the intercept log that monitoring for the intercept agent is started.  I have another thread that provides more insight into my goal with Avicode and SSRS monitoring.  I want to notify when a report took a long amount of time to execute, > 10 seconds, and the ability to look at details within the execution/event such as SQL querying information etc.  Right now I see the information in the SEViewer however there is no alarm generated in SCOM even though I've set the alert threshold to 5000 (in milliseconds I believe)

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 3:50 PM
  • As in code in the reports if there are custom. Is the SSRS discovered into OpsMgr? Are you seeing the correct event raised into the SEViewer? Try dropping the Thresholds to a low level incase there are no real issues

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 5:12 PM

I honestly don't know if they've embedded code into the reports.  I seriously doubt it after reviewing some of them because they are tabular and really simple looking type reports.

The event I am seeing in SEViewer are performance categorized events.  I will drop the alerting threshold and test

Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:02 PM
  • Hi, As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as "Answered". Either the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios and will be marked as answer, or this post will be marked as answer in order to close the thread. Feel free to re-open the thread if you have additional information about this specific case or to open a new thread for a new case. In addition, we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks,

Bob Cornelissen - BICTT (My Blog about SCOM) - MVP 2012 + 2013 and Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 + 2012 Recipient

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 3:56 PM