none
Deleting volume of the System, Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, and Recovery Partition RRS feed

• Question

• I've Looked up many cmd, Disk Management, and System Properties solutions, but I can't seem to remove the necessary components in order to "Delete [the] Volume..." of my System, Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, and Recovery Partition.

My end-goal is to Set up a Striped RAID with my primary HDD and a brand-new HDD (both 1TB). I've created an image restore on, and can boot from my backup drive, but no matter what I do I haven't figured out how to delete the volume of my primary drive, or even successfully move the required boot, system, etc... files/settings (?). The "Delete Volume..." in the drop-down menu when right-clicking it in Disc Management always seems to be grayed out.

I can't upload an image here, so let me know if you need any.

Within Disk Management: Disk 0 is the primary drive I'm having troubles deleting, Disk 2 is the newly installed, empty drive, and drive 3 is the backup drive I'm booted with (chosen via BIOS).

Help would be greatly appreciated. I just want a striped RAID with drives 0 and 2...

Thursday, December 1, 2016 4:01 AM

All replies

• Hi ,

Based on my understanding, your main issue is cannot delete volumes, right?

I've created an image restore on, and can boot from my backup drive
    How did you backup and restore your primary hard drive?
    Please create a image backup and then restore the backup to your drive 3. Here is reference link about it.
    How to create an image backup in Windows 10 and restore it, if need be
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/3011736/windows/how-to-create-an-image-backup-in-windows-10-and-restore-it-if-need-be.html

After it, we could try the Disk Part command line from the command prompt to delete the current partitions. Here is a similar case for your reference. Kindly notice that your data will be lost after delete partitions, please backup your personal data before you modify partitions.  
    http://superuser.com/questions/536813/how-to-delete-a-partition-on-a-usb-drive
    NOTE: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:43 AM
  • You would need to use Diskpart to manage the disk instead of Disk Management. The protections may still be in place even then, look into using the /override option.

But, I am unsure about the method you with to accomplish this. Does your computer not support RAID by itself?

Friday, December 2, 2016 7:45 PM