none
Cloud DP vs Azure DP RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All

We plan to put the primary server in Azure and install only a few DPs in the local office and we have learned these two ways to implement DPs:
    1) Create cloud DPs
    2) Create DPs directly on the virtual machine server in Azure
    but after a fierce discussion we still cannot determine which solution is the best practice Any help is greatly appreciated!

Saturday, November 30, 2019 11:42 AM

Answers

• There is no such thing as best practices -- you need to define your requirements and then match those to the supported capabilities of the product. Also, CloudDPs are deprecated; however, you can use a CMG as a CloudDP.

Without knowing more about your intended managed client-base and their connectivity, not much can truly be said here.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jason. A best practice that works for everyone or for all scenarios does not exist. A good practice always depends on your actual environment and your actual needs. I hope the following information helps:

1. If you use a fast and reliable network connection between Azure and your intranet with an unlimited data plan, hosting standard distribution points in Azure could be an option.
    2. If you use a metered data plan and bandwidth cost is a concern or the network connection between Azure and your intranet is not fast or can be unreliable, then you might consider other approaches. These include locating standard or pull distribution points on-premises as well as using BranchCache. The use of cloud-based distribution points is also an option but there are some limits on the content types supported (for example, no support for software updates packages).

3. If PXE or multicast support is required, you must use on-premises distribution points (standard or pull) to respond to boot requests.
    Please refer to the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/understand/configuration-manager-on-azure#what-about-content-distribution-and-content-management-should-standard-distribution-points-be-in-azure-or-on-premises-and-should-i-use-branchcache-or-pull-distribution-points-on-premises-or-should-i-make-exclusive-use-of-cloud-distribution-points

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PratikP1981 Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:42 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 9:27 AM

All replies

• There is no such thing as best practices -- you need to define your requirements and then match those to the supported capabilities of the product. Also, CloudDPs are deprecated; however, you can use a CMG as a CloudDP.

Without knowing more about your intended managed client-base and their connectivity, not much can truly be said here.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Saturday, November 30, 2019 4:59 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jason. A best practice that works for everyone or for all scenarios does not exist. A good practice always depends on your actual environment and your actual needs. I hope the following information helps:

1. If you use a fast and reliable network connection between Azure and your intranet with an unlimited data plan, hosting standard distribution points in Azure could be an option.
    2. If you use a metered data plan and bandwidth cost is a concern or the network connection between Azure and your intranet is not fast or can be unreliable, then you might consider other approaches. These include locating standard or pull distribution points on-premises as well as using BranchCache. The use of cloud-based distribution points is also an option but there are some limits on the content types supported (for example, no support for software updates packages).

3. If PXE or multicast support is required, you must use on-premises distribution points (standard or pull) to respond to boot requests.
    Please refer to the following article for more details:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/understand/configuration-manager-on-azure#what-about-content-distribution-and-content-management-should-standard-distribution-points-be-in-azure-or-on-premises-and-should-i-use-branchcache-or-pull-distribution-points-on-premises-or-should-i-make-exclusive-use-of-cloud-distribution-points

Best regards,
    Larry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by PratikP1981 Tuesday, December 3, 2019 12:42 PM
    Monday, December 2, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

How are things going? I just checked in to see if there are any updates. Please feel free to feedback and if the above reply is helpful, please kindly click “Mark as answer”. It would make the reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar question.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Larry

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:30 AM