none
HP LaserJet 1500L Series: No Driver for Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• HP says on their support page, they will not distribute Vista drivers for 1500 color laserjet. I have not yet found a workaround or drivers from Microsoft.

Thanks in advance

Thursday, February 8, 2007 10:42 AM

Answers

• HP ColorLaserJet 1500 Will work on Vista!

Solution no.1:
    ---------------
    THANKS Ratzman, it works. GREAT TIP !.
    For anyone else who likes to get his/her HP printer going in Vista, I did the following;
    0. Pull out the printer cable
    1. Download the Driver for Windows XP from HP support for Color LaserJet 1500
    2. Run that exe-file and unzip files to the suggested folder i.e. c:/clj1500
    3. Now plug in the printer cable. Vista detects the printer but since Vista do not have a driver for this printer, it starts search the Web (but will not find any of course).
    4. After a couple of minutes searching, Vista comes back with a window talking about other alternatives. Select the option where one can show Vista where to search for the Driver (do not select the Installation CD option).
    5. Select the folder the unzip operation just created i.e. c:/clj1500.
    6. Vista hereby finds what is needed and install it, takes about a minute.
    That's it !
    ------------------------------
    If this do not work for You!? Try:

Solution No.2
    --------------
    I also managed to get my 1500L to work with Vista using the original drivers CD.

Unplug You Printer!

Start the "Install printer" from the CD... It will go to about 80%, hére it will stop and go no further!!!
    Press Cntrl+Alt+Del find JobList, stop the install!

Then:
    Cntrl Panel, Install New Hardware, Choose Printer, HP, Have disc/CD, HP1500 CLJ, Install..

Vista will not let you manually install a USB device, but it will let you manually install a LPT Printer.  What I ended up doing was manually installing the 1500L to LPT1, (which did not work, due to there being no parallel port on the HP.) DO That anyway!

Choose SHARE the Printer!

Leave the install When finished. It will likely have made a HP ColorLaserjet Copy 1 in "printers"...

Then, I plugged the printer into the USB port and Vista found it as a new printer.  (I then went back and deleted the first install.)Not necessary! 

Mine is a new Dell and it came with Vista so changing OS was not an option.  Also, my 1500L may be 4 or 5 years old, but it is still on its first set of toner carts, so I am not too keen to buy a new one.

I hope this helps someone else. 

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I managed to get mine working on Vista using the original CD..  Buggered if I know why..

I was getting problems trying to install it using downloaded updated drivers.. but since i tried the old ones it works.

But I gave it one last go.. it detected, asked for cd.. put it in, installed..  test print..  = OK.

Problems!? (Still?) ..

I have under my researches found following.....:

bpl51420.PDF is Manual for HP Colorlaserjet 1500(L)

clj1500hostbased-en.exe is basic printerdriver for XP for this printer (Xp driver) Name: LJ1500.exe or CLJ1500.exe

unidrv.dll is an Unpacked file from XP servicepack2!!!! ...!? Which it is said should "roll back" this driver to a former state(SP2)...!? As HPclj1500(L) has problemes, and some printers do NOT work with the newer downloaded hostbased driver some has experienced, that if you use the FORMER/EARLIER version of unidrv.dll You may be lucky to again get printers, which denies under SP3, to work!??..!??

unidrv.dll is found in:
    c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

My Vista totally Crashed due to a corrupted AUTOUPDATE from Microsoft!!! Which did NOT finsh the job!
    I had to reinstall everything including the HP Color LaserJet 1500!!!

This time the trick going through manual install using the original Install CD did NOT do the trick!!`?
    I installed to LPT1(Even though the machine do not have a parallel port!) ..
    Chose SHARE the printer! ..
    But when connecting the printer again, it did NOT find it and shift it to USB!!????
    A lot of trial&Errors and many hours ... went by.

Then I remembered, that a program had installed the small Program/file: Bonjour (originally a MAC thing!), and this file/program was not any longer in the new VISTA OS installation!...!?
    I fetched it from the Internet, and installed "Bonjour" ...for WINDOWS!

No, it did not seem to make any difference. Bonjour printer function could not see the printer....!?
    But after a REBOOT ..BINGOOO!! ...
    The printer WORKED!!!

IF this was due to the install of Bonjour I do not know? ..But perhaps , if nothing else work it is worth a try!?

I found Bonjour hére:
    http://developer.apple.com/networking/bonjour/index.html

Happy Hunting!

Steffen

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:42 AM

All replies

• I'm interested in this issue too. I see Laserjet 1500 isn't eligible for the upgrade progam either. Sadly, my 15 year old Laserjet IIP is supported but I replaced it with the 1500. Bad move on my part.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 10:27 PM
  • I agree, I am starting to think that Vista is one of the biggest wastes of time I have ever had in my life, There is "compatibility issues" at every turn.

I am just another unhappy user that is being informed that my 1500L (plus other devices) Is useless under Vista. I refuse to believe this , the printer is not THAT old and I am not going to throw it away because someone is too lazy to create a driver for it. This printer should have had standard support under Vista, the fact that it doesnt is mind blowing, then HP's response of 'no intention to release a driver at this stage' is just outrageous

viva la mac...

cancel or allow?

Aggerz.

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 8:16 PM
  • I have the same problem.. hard to belive that neither will supply a driver

Anybody finds a solution let me know

TX

Friday, March 23, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Hi to you all,

Recently, I was considering changing my XP, HP P4 machine for a Dual Core, VISTA driven one but I also have some problems with several drivers issues like those you have with VISTA ! HP and Microsoft being so cheap, instead I've decided to upgrade my "old" 2,8 GHz machine to 1,5 GB memory and an AGP video card with 256 MB memory, TOTAL COST : 150$ !

As you can see, I found my own workaround, good enough for at least five more years, nothing to change, nothing to install and loose sleep over !

We've managed to live trough the DOS-Win95 era, the Win98-WinME and back to Win98 SE (still the best of the bunch !) era and then the XP era, each time with lots of drivers problems and incompatibilities to deal with ! We don't intend to stress over an incomplete OS from Microsoft no more !

TRIPODCie

Monday, March 26, 2007 6:49 PM
  • I managed to get mine working on Vista using the original CD..  Buggered if I know why..

I was getting problems trying to install it using downloaded updated drivers.. but since i tried the old ones it works.

But I gave it one last go.. it detected, asked for cd.. put it in, installed..  test print..  = OK.

So for now that issue is resolved but i stand by that Vista is ***. (and HP even worse!)  I would have rathered less focus on fancy transition effects etc and more focus on a system that works as you hope it would.

• Proposed as answer by David Suggitt Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:58 PM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:34 AM
  • I also managed to get my 1500L to work with Vista using the original drivers CD.

Vista will not let you manualy install a USB device, but it will let you manually install a LPT Printer.  What I ended up doing was manually installing the 1500L to LPT1, which did not work, due to there being no parallel port on the HP.

Then, I plugged the printer into the USB port and Vista found it as a new printer.  I then went back and deleted the first install. 

Mine is a new Dell and it came with Vista so changing OS was not an option.  Also, my 1500L may be 4 or 5 years old, but it is still on its first set of toner carts, so I am not too keen to buy a new one.

Monday, July 2, 2007 4:09 PM
  • The prior pieces of advice were very helpful and appreciated.  I found my problem to be a bit different, as I was trying to install the Laserjet 1500 driver on a Vista machine while the printer was on my network (using HP's jetdirect ethernet to USB device they bundled with the Laserjet 1500 purchase). 

I figured there was something to the successful use of the original installation CD noted above, so I tried several variants of that.  The driver didn't work to the printer when set up directly to the network.  But I found that hosting the network printer as a shared printer on another XP machine maintained the print environment all other PC's on the network enjoyed and still allowed the Vista machine to access the printer via the hosting XP machine.  Sure it's a convoluted path, but it appears to work.  Only the vista machine requires the hosting XP machine to be on; all other machines still access the printer direct from the network.

So for anyone who also bought the jetdirect option, I'd recommend trying this.  Good luck. 

Saturday, July 7, 2007 2:03 PM
  • I tried all of the recommeded items in this post and still can not get this printer to work in Vista.  Everytime I try to print explorer.exe crashes....  Any other ideas?  What model JetDirect do you use?
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 4:04 PM
  • For the network situation...did you have UAC turned off?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937697/en-us

Saturday, July 21, 2007 6:15 PM
  • Yes.  UAC was turned off.  I went through the steps listed above one more time and I finally got it to work.  It prompts every time I reboot my computer for the driver CD, but I just cancel it and the printer works.

Thanks for your help everyone!

Monday, July 23, 2007 11:25 AM
  • Hi all,

Like all of you I am so mad about this HP 1500 L not working with Vista that I followed some of the advises here.

Electricity being so expensive in New York City that I finally managed to trick Vista to print to a home made print server using the Linksys/Cisco NSLU2 running Samba on Linux.

I have not yet figure out why I needed to first configure it on an XP machine and then swap it but after 15 hours, I don't really care but share it.

I posted a rough draft on my website at http://www.theochino.com/MSVistaHP1500L
    (The English is not perfect, but if you have questions I will try to make it better.)

Sincerely,
    Theo Chino (so mad after HP and MS but I will stay polite that I am compelled to share it.)
    Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:24 PM
  • All:

I've struggled with my printer on Vista for a while now, I've installed an online version of the hp1500L driver for window xp in Vista. I cannot located my original CD driver for hp1500L. I am out of luck now. Can anyone please let me know how can I obtain a copy of the original CDROM printer driver for HP1500L please? I am going nuts. Now that I've already intalled the HP driver in vista, how can I competely remove it before I install the driver again? Please help.

Phillip Law

Friday, February 22, 2008 3:49 AM
  • Well here we are in June 2008 and still no driver for HP 1500 series.  This printer hasn't been exactly a stellar performer for the past 4 years but it's mine and it's paid for.  I hadn't planned on replacing it yet.

I have the original disc and it did install but nothing would print and it had a very deleterious effect on Office 2007 and Acrobat 8.n - all the programs crashed.  Now *that* caused me a few hours with the techy folks for HP.  Their solution was to totally restore the computer to factory condition.  More hours wasted and I finally figured out that it was the 1500 printer driver that was causing the problem.

Personally if anyone ever asks me whether I would buy Mac or PC in the future the answer will be Mac.  I'm just another disgruntled customer that Microsoft and HP couldn't care less about.

Teri

Gerhard Zimmermann wrote:

HP says on their support page, they will not distribute Vista drivers for 1500 color laserjet. I have not yet found a workaround or drivers from Microsoft.

Thanks in advance

Monday, June 16, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Alas, Mac has no support for the 1500L either.

JF
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:34 PM
  • HP ColorLaserJet 1500 Will work on Vista!

Solution no.1:
    ---------------
    THANKS Ratzman, it works. GREAT TIP !.
    For anyone else who likes to get his/her HP printer going in Vista, I did the following;
    0. Pull out the printer cable
    1. Download the Driver for Windows XP from HP support for Color LaserJet 1500
    2. Run that exe-file and unzip files to the suggested folder i.e. c:/clj1500
    3. Now plug in the printer cable. Vista detects the printer but since Vista do not have a driver for this printer, it starts search the Web (but will not find any of course).
    4. After a couple of minutes searching, Vista comes back with a window talking about other alternatives. Select the option where one can show Vista where to search for the Driver (do not select the Installation CD option).
    5. Select the folder the unzip operation just created i.e. c:/clj1500.
    6. Vista hereby finds what is needed and install it, takes about a minute.
    That's it !
    ------------------------------
    If this do not work for You!? Try:

Solution No.2
    --------------
    I also managed to get my 1500L to work with Vista using the original drivers CD.

Unplug You Printer!

Start the "Install printer" from the CD... It will go to about 80%, hére it will stop and go no further!!!
    Press Cntrl+Alt+Del find JobList, stop the install!

Then:
    Cntrl Panel, Install New Hardware, Choose Printer, HP, Have disc/CD, HP1500 CLJ, Install..

Vista will not let you manually install a USB device, but it will let you manually install a LPT Printer.  What I ended up doing was manually installing the 1500L to LPT1, (which did not work, due to there being no parallel port on the HP.) DO That anyway!

Leave the install When finished. It will likely have made a HP ColorLaserjet Copy 1 in "printers"...

Then, I plugged the printer into the USB port and Vista found it as a new printer.  (I then went back and deleted the first install.)Not necessary! 

I managed to get mine working on Vista using the original CD..  Buggered if I know why..

Problems!? (Still?) ..

I have under my researches found following.....:

bpl51420.PDF is Manual for HP Colorlaserjet 1500(L)

clj1500hostbased-en.exe is basic printerdriver for XP for this printer (Xp driver) Name: LJ1500.exe or CLJ1500.exe

unidrv.dll is an Unpacked file from XP servicepack2!!!! ...!? Which it is said should "roll back" this driver to a former state(SP2)...!? As HPclj1500(L) has problemes, and some printers do NOT work with the newer downloaded hostbased driver some has experienced, that if you use the FORMER/EARLIER version of unidrv.dll You may be lucky to again get printers, which denies under SP3, to work!??..!??

unidrv.dll is found in:
    c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

My Vista totally Crashed due to a corrupted AUTOUPDATE from Microsoft!!! Which did NOT finsh the job!
    I had to reinstall everything including the HP Color LaserJet 1500!!!

This time the trick going through manual install using the original Install CD did NOT do the trick!!`?
    I installed to LPT1(Even though the machine do not have a parallel port!) ..
    Chose SHARE the printer! ..
    But when connecting the printer again, it did NOT find it and shift it to USB!!????
    A lot of trial&Errors and many hours ... went by.

Then I remembered, that a program had installed the small Program/file: Bonjour (originally a MAC thing!), and this file/program was not any longer in the new VISTA OS installation!...!?
    I fetched it from the Internet, and installed "Bonjour" ...for WINDOWS!

No, it did not seem to make any difference. Bonjour printer function could not see the printer....!?
    But after a REBOOT ..BINGOOO!! ...
    The printer WORKED!!!

IF this was due to the install of Bonjour I do not know? ..But perhaps , if nothing else work it is worth a try!?

I found Bonjour hére:
    http://developer.apple.com/networking/bonjour/index.html

Happy Hunting!

Steffen

Friday, July 31, 2009 11:42 AM
  • Now the same problem on windows 7 but sharing the printer on the network does not seem to solve the problem on windows 7.  Can someone post the original ISO from the CD?  I tried using the download from HP but it does not work.
    • Proposed as answer by David Suggitt Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:46 PM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 2:43 AM
  • Has anyone tried printing from XP Mode in Windows 7?
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:47 PM
  • Searched for my original CD... not found.  Would you be kind enough to drop it in dropbox for everyone?
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:57 PM
  • Works oin solultion 2 for Windows 7 32 bit.  I have tried to get things going on 64bit to no avail

for windows 7 32 bit and HP LJC 1500

Unplug Your Printer!

Start the "Install printer" from the CD... It will go to about 80%, hére it will stop and go no further you may ger compatibility and allow message  just say yes..

When the job stalls

Press Cntrl+Alt+Del  Start Task Manager  On the applications tab, stop the install!

Then:
    Start  Select Devices and pronters add a printer Choose Printer, Have disc/CD, HP1500 CLJ, Install..

Windows 7 will not let you manually install a USB device, but it will let you manually install a LPT Printer. Install the 1500 to LPT1, which appears to work,  but obviously can as no printer is physically connected nor is there a parallel port. DO This anyway!  YOU ARE NOW INSTALLING A SECOND HP1500 so this will appear as copy 1

Then, I plugged the printer into the USB port and Wiondows 7 detected it   You can delete the HP1500 printer and just leave HP1500 (copy 1) as default

Go to printers and devices  click on teh copy 1  open prointer properties  Prinnt test Page

Hurrah.....

Thursday, August 25, 2011 12:49 PM
  • Has anyone tried printing from XP Mode in Windows 7?

It works in XP Mode under windows 7 64, but we cannot share it for win7 64
    Saturday, November 18, 2017 12:05 PM