none
Auto fill a cell based on a previous cell RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering how I can set up my Excel sheet to automatically enter a value in one cell based on the content of another.  I'm filling out contact information (name, address, town, county).  I was wondering if I could have it automatically enter the county based on the town entered in the previous column?  
    Friday, November 22, 2019 4:52 PM

All replies

• This is possible if you have a list with towns in the first column and the corresponding county in the second column. The list can be on the same sheet or on another sheet in the same workbook.

Select this list, then click in the name box on the left hand side of the formula bar. Type Towns and press Enter. This assigns the name Towns to the list.

Now, let's say the town in your contact information will be entered in C2 and down.

Enter the following formula in D2:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(C2,Towns,2,FALSE),"")

Fill or copy down as far as you want.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

Friday, November 22, 2019 7:50 PM
  • Thank you SO much!!
    Friday, November 22, 2019 9:53 PM
  • Hi Kay,

Please remember to mark Hans's reply as answer if your question was answered appropriately. It will benefit all community members who are facing similar issues. Your contribution is highly appreciated. 

Thanks for your kind understanding. Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, November 25, 2019 8:03 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the replies are helpful to this question, please remember to mark them as answers. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Monday, December 2, 2019 1:42 AM