none
Hyper V -- VM with access to LAN and to DMZ RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Hyper V machine that contains 4 NICs. One is dedicated to the server running Hyper V - LAN. Three are dedicated to VMs - config is: 2 for DMZ traffic (connected to the DMZ port on my router) and one for LAN traffic connected to the LAN. I want to expose my VM server to the DMZ while also being able to provide LAN access via the single LAN targeted NIC that is dedicated to the LAN.

I have set up one VM test server on which I have configured to have 2 NICs (one of the DMZ connected NICs and the LAN connected NIC).  The DMZ side, where I have set up with a static public IP (from ISP), this works fine.  In fact all VMs that I have setup through this single NIC (with different public facing IPs) work perfectly.  On this test server where I am trying to include an interface to the LAN, this will not communicate with the LAN (DHCP - cannot find, Static IP - no good either).  I really want it to get the IP for the LAN from the DHCP server I have.

I have tried to create a VLAN (well, assigned a VLAN id to the Virtual Network Adapter - This doesn't work either).

Can anyone point me to some instructions on this or explain where I am going wrong? 

Jim G. System & Software Architect

Saturday, September 15, 2018 6:13 AM

Answers

• I solved this by removing the Virtual Network Adapter in Hyper V.  Running diagnostics on the NIC, It fixed some setting that it was very vague about and installed a new driver for the NIC.  Then I went back into Hyper V and added the Virtual Network Adapter and associated it with the NIC in question and it works.  Go figure. 

Saturday, September 15, 2018 6:37 AM

All replies

• I solved this by removing the Virtual Network Adapter in Hyper V.  Running diagnostics on the NIC, It fixed some setting that it was very vague about and installed a new driver for the NIC.  Then I went back into Hyper V and added the Virtual Network Adapter and associated it with the NIC in question and it works.  Go figure. 

Saturday, September 15, 2018 6:37 AM
  • Hi,

Usually the "Network Reset" option in Setting is also a choice.

Glad to hear that you have found a solution and thank you for sharing it here, it will be helpful to other community members who have same questions.

Best regards,

Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jim Gergen Monday, September 17, 2018 5:49 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jim Gergen Monday, September 17, 2018 5:49 PM
    Monday, September 17, 2018 2:23 AM