Too many taskeng process RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I'm a Vista SP1 user, looking at task manager I found that I've got too many taskeng process. I know that taskeng process are used by Windows task schedule but since I don't have scheduled particular tasks i think that there is something wrong with the number of my taskeng process.
    Note that the high number of taskeng process doesn't affect my system performance, at least eats some of my RAM memory, but I think it would better to understand why I have such a number of this process and eventually fix what is wrong.

I have tried the fix of the IE7 RSS task but I haven't solved my problem, any idea of what is going on?

If you need more information feel free to ask, I'm going to answer as soon as possible.
    Thanks
    Monday, September 1, 2008 11:22 AM

Answers

•  wisher wrote:
    First of all thanks for your answer, I'm going to read the links you posted as soon as possible.

Back to my "problem", the fact is that I am not experiencing problems. It just sounds stange to me to have a lot (I mean that I have near 100 taskeng processes for my system that now has about 8 hours of uptime). The fact that make me think there are some troubles is that when I start up my system I have few taskeng processes and that their number is increasing with the time, as if there are some processes that aren't killed when they're done their job. Am I missing something?

Wisher

That is definitely not normal to have 100 instances of the 'taskeng' process running?

You may have a scheduled task that is corrupted or misconfigured. The first thing you need to do is identify the out of control task. You mentioned that the 'IE7 RSS task' was causing a problem, this may be the misbehaving task.

Open the Task Scheduler.

On the View Menu, select the 'Show Hidden Tasks' option.

In the left side menu, select 'Task Scheduler Library'.

In the Center section, look for a task that is associated with 'Feed_Synchronization'.

Select this task to see the properties.

In the properties section, select the 'History Tab'. (It may take a minute or two to display the history)

Expand the 'Date and Time' column and the 'Category' column.

Each one of the  'created task', 'action started' 'task started' entries in the Category column should be followed by a 'task completed, 'action completed' entry.

If this is not what you see, or if you see any 'Error' messages there, then you have found the culprit.

Post back here with the details of any error messages or anything else you see that does not look proper.

For right now, in the top section, right click that task and select Disable until we can determine what is going on with that task.

Take a look at the other tasks in that top section to determine if they are also misbehaving.

Let me know what you find.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.
    By marking a post as Answered, you help others find the answer faster.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Monday, September 1, 2008 7:12 PM

All replies

• user="wisher"]
    Hi,
    I'm a Vista SP1 user, looking at task manager I found that I've got too many taskeng process. I know that taskeng process are used by Windows task schedule but since I don't have scheduled particular tasks i think that there is something wrong with the number of my taskeng process.
    Note that the high number of taskeng process doesn't affect my system performance, at least eats some of my RAM memory, but I think it would better to understand why I have such a number of this process and eventually fix what is wrong.

Having multiple scheduled tasks running in Vista is normal. The role of the Task Scheduler has been completely changed in Vista.

Here are some links with information that will get you up to speed on this component in Vista.

Description of the scheduled tasks in Windows Vista:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939039

Ask the Performance Team : Task Scheduler Changes in Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008:
    http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2008/06/24/task-scheduler-changes-in-windows-vista-and-windows-server-2008-part-one.aspx

I have tried the fix of the IE7 RSS task but I haven't solved my problem, any idea of what is going on?

If you need more information feel free to ask, I'm going to answer as soon as possible.
    Thanks

Give us some details about the problem you are experiencing and we may be able to help resolve it.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, September 1, 2008 4:41 PM
  • First of all thanks for your answer, I'm going to read the links you posted as soon as possible.

Back to my "problem", the fact is that I am not experiencing problems. It just sounds stange to me to have a lot (I mean that I have near 100 taskeng processes for my system that now has about 8 hours of uptime). The fact that make me think there are some troubles is that when I start up my system I have few taskeng processes and that their number is increasing with the time, as if there are some processes that aren't killed when they're done their job. Am I missing something?

Monday, September 1, 2008 4:55 PM
  •  wisher wrote:
    First of all thanks for your answer, I'm going to read the links you posted as soon as possible.

Wisher

That is definitely not normal to have 100 instances of the 'taskeng' process running?

You may have a scheduled task that is corrupted or misconfigured. The first thing you need to do is identify the out of control task. You mentioned that the 'IE7 RSS task' was causing a problem, this may be the misbehaving task.

Open the Task Scheduler.

On the View Menu, select the 'Show Hidden Tasks' option.

In the left side menu, select 'Task Scheduler Library'.

In the Center section, look for a task that is associated with 'Feed_Synchronization'.

Select this task to see the properties.

In the properties section, select the 'History Tab'. (It may take a minute or two to display the history)

Expand the 'Date and Time' column and the 'Category' column.

Each one of the  'created task', 'action started' 'task started' entries in the Category column should be followed by a 'task completed, 'action completed' entry.

If this is not what you see, or if you see any 'Error' messages there, then you have found the culprit.

Post back here with the details of any error messages or anything else you see that does not look proper.

For right now, in the top section, right click that task and select Disable until we can determine what is going on with that task.

Take a look at the other tasks in that top section to determine if they are also misbehaving.

Let me know what you find.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Monday, September 1, 2008 7:12 PM
  • Thanks, I disable the Feed_Synchronization and it seems to work. My mistake was to delete and not to disable the task. Another thing I did was a little clean-up deleting a calendar Reminder for a user of my pc that was deleted months ago.
    After these steps I have only a taskeng process after 2 hours of activity, I think we have fixed the problem.
    Tuesday, September 2, 2008 7:43 AM
  • Wisher

OK, glad this solved that problem. 

You can recreate the   Feed_Synchronization  very easily. Here is how.

Close the Task Scheduler.

Go to Start / All Programs / Accessories. Right click the Command Prompt and select the 'Run As Administrator' option.

Click 'Continue' on the UAC prompt.

In the 'Command window' type the following.

msfeedssync enable

Press ENTER

Open the Task Scheduler and you should see the task.

Hope this helps.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP

Tuesday, September 2, 2008 3:58 PM