none
Bug: Cannot add multiple Slack accounts with same email address RRS feed

• Question

• Slack is unusual.  Instead of using a single identity for multiple workspaces, a person must have a unique identity for each workspace.  Microsoft Authenticator will override an existing Slack MFA token when enabling MFA on the second or subsequent Slack workspaces that use the same email address (which is a common configuration.)

Therefore, a user is left with only three options:

1. They could enable MFA on just one Slack workspace and leave it disabled on the rest (or use SMS for those)
    2. They could use a different authenticator app
    3. Or they could create new email addresses for each Slack workspace

I believe this is a bug but cannot find the appropriate channel for reporting it, so alas, here I am.

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 2:23 AM

All replies

• I saw this bug too - I tried to add multiple slack accounts that sign in with the same email address, but it doesn't add additional accounts. Instead it appears to overwrite the existing MFA account.

Monday, September 23, 2019 1:24 AM
  • I just ran into this with another application. I think it's something more than just the email address being used twice, because I have cases where I do this where an existing token does not get overwritten. Presumably the site name / URL is factored into the process.

In any case, this is a bad bug (because you end up clobbering an entry that you need).

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 2:07 AM
  • Bug seems still exist after more than 1 year.

temporary solution: Instead of scanning the qr code, select input the code by yourself. Then you are able to give your account a unique identity. 

• Edited by zinhouse Wednesday, January 8, 2020 12:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 8, 2020 12:07 AM