Display driver cause Windows Vista RC1 to crash on installation RRS feed

• Question

• I’m having problems installing Windows Vista RC1 build 5600.  The problem seems to be my video adapter, an ATI Radeon X1900XT.  After copying the files successfully during the initial installation stage, my system starts but then the problem starts.  The system would continuously reboot, trying to recover from an error.  At first I couldn’t see the problem.  Finally at the error recovery screen, I selected Start Windows Normally.  I then got a blue screen.  It went by so quickly that I couldn’t see what was causing the crash.  On the next reboot I selected Start Windows in Safe Mode.  This didn’t work.  I got an error message that Safe Mode couldn’t be used during Windows installation.  It rebooted and crash occurred again.  I selected Start Windows in Safe Mode again.  The next time it rebooted, I held down the F8 key.  After some screaming from my system, I got a different Error recover screen.  I was able to turn off the Automatic Boot after crash feature.  The system still crashed but I was able to see the dump.  The gist of the error is was Attempt to reset display driver and recover from time out failed.  It seems the offending driver is ATIKMDAG.SYS.  Is there a driver that will work or is there some other workaround?  Also where is and what is the name of the dump file?  I had no problems with Win XP or Win XP 64.  My complete system is listed below:

Intel Pentium D 950 Presler 3.4GHz 2 x 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core Processor

Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard

ATI Radeon X1900XT 100-435801

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD5000KS 500GB 7200 RPM

SAMSUNG 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Model SHS162LBEBN   

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 2:11 PM

All replies

• I have tha same error, exactly the same......

Thank you to have discovered the real Dump....i have an ATI 9600 Pro...

I will buy an nvidia card..... lol ......

ATI should consider to request a Milionaire refund for this Microsoft's mistake which forces ATI users to switch to other Munufacturers for the Release Candidate!!!!!!

Saturday, September 23, 2006 12:20 PM
  • It seems some people are having the same type of problem with nvidia cards.  I've downloaded the new build (5278) and I'm going to try a clean installation later.  I'll be very disappointed if MS hasn't addressed this issue.
    Tuesday, September 26, 2006 2:13 PM