Dim and turn off the display RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I've got an interesting problem with Win 7, and I can't solve it:

I set these: dim the display (1 min);
                      Turn off the display (3 min),

but neither of these are working. After 3 min. the display turn off but it turn on immediately as well... I don't understand why. I tried the touch pad, mouse...but not these cause the problem.
    I've got GeForce 8600M GT; before the driver installation, the "turning off the display" worked...
    I tried a lot of driver, now I use the last nVidia driver: 190.15
    I think there is some kind of settings problem, but I have no idea.

Please help me, if you can (:
    Thanks,
    Aron
    Thursday, July 2, 2009 3:49 PM

Answers

• The same for me and as I can see this is some kind of issue with graphic drivers.

So:
    I also have m8600 GT in a laptop, and Win 7 RTM. Everything is fine except Dim and Turn off display don't work. It briefly turns off and immediately turns on at designated time.

Screensaver works fine until it reaches time for dim or turn off display.

It has to do with Nvidia drivers since if I remove it - Standard VGA works fine but it has only turn off function. What puzzles me that I have like 20 different drivers that all worked flawlessly in Vista and Win 7 RC and suddenly they don't work anymore in RTM. I am also not sure when this behaviour started - since I have switched to RTM just a few weeks ago.

So after my Internet search these seem to be common facts:

1. It has to do with GPU driver-Windows integration since standard VGA works (display off only) and it is unlikely that some device is keeping windows alive.
    2. Different drivers don't matter.
    3. Some people cannot even start screensaver, but many can and it runs until dim or display off kicks in.
    4. Sleep works, hibernation works.
    5. Win7 RC and Win7 RTM are affected. Not sure about Vista.

If I remember anything more I will share...

Cheers,

Ivan
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:38 PM

All replies

• Hello!

but neither of these are working. After 3 min. the display turn off but it turn on immediately as well... I don't understand why. I tried the touch pad, mouse...but not these cause the problem.
    I've got GeForce 8600M GT; before the driver installation, the "turning off the display" worked...

Thanks,
    Aron

I am experiencing exactly the same problem. After 1 min the screen dims quickly and returns to full brightness. And after 3 minutes it doesn't turn off the display at all. I'm running on a notebook, with intel 965 chipset.
    Ivan.
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:37 PM
  • Hello!

Thanks,
    Aron
    Hi Aron

Were you able to resolve this problem yet?

Let us know.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:10 AM
  • Hi!

No I haven't solved the problem yet. I tried a lot of driver, but none of them was OK.
    I've no new idea, so I'm waiting for advices! :)

Thanks,
    Aron
    Saturday, August 29, 2009 3:07 PM
  • The same for me and as I can see this is some kind of issue with graphic drivers.

So:
    I also have m8600 GT in a laptop, and Win 7 RTM. Everything is fine except Dim and Turn off display don't work. It briefly turns off and immediately turns on at designated time.

Screensaver works fine until it reaches time for dim or turn off display.

It has to do with Nvidia drivers since if I remove it - Standard VGA works fine but it has only turn off function. What puzzles me that I have like 20 different drivers that all worked flawlessly in Vista and Win 7 RC and suddenly they don't work anymore in RTM. I am also not sure when this behaviour started - since I have switched to RTM just a few weeks ago.

So after my Internet search these seem to be common facts:

1. It has to do with GPU driver-Windows integration since standard VGA works (display off only) and it is unlikely that some device is keeping windows alive.
    2. Different drivers don't matter.
    3. Some people cannot even start screensaver, but many can and it runs until dim or display off kicks in.
    4. Sleep works, hibernation works.
    5. Win7 RC and Win7 RTM are affected. Not sure about Vista.

If I remember anything more I will share...

Cheers,

Ivan
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:38 PM
  • Did anybody resolve the problem?
    Maniek
    Wednesday, November 4, 2009 11:34 AM
  • Not yet.
    I'm using simple screensaver now. The turn off function isn't working... It seems nobody knows a solution for this problem...interesting.
    I suppose you've got the same problem, haven't you?
    What kind of notebook do you have?

Aron
    Monday, November 9, 2009 11:18 AM
  • Same problem here..I have MSI EX700 laptop...and tested video drivers "185.81_notebook_winvista_32bit_beta" and "18691_win7x32"   but the problem still here. I've tried without Aero, with a lot a services or background programs off, with or without screensaver, a lot....and nothing seams to work (but I don t know exactly if the problem started with vista or immediately when I've switched to win7 ...) ...so let's wait for the smartest guy in the word :) 
    Friday, November 13, 2009 5:44 AM
  • Hi. I have MSI PR200 Laptop - Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family Graphic Card and Chi Mei N121I3-L01 LCD panel.
    Everest program show the LCD panel doesn't support DPMS mode. Maybe it is the problem.
    I try change drivers, bios and nothing help.
    On Vista turn off function was OK.
    Maniek
    Saturday, November 14, 2009 1:06 AM
  • same problem with msi cr400. dimming doesn't work as well.
    Monday, November 16, 2009 9:11 AM
  • nobody find any "cure" for this ?? I'll broke my lid... seriously
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Hi!

I tried masajes advice, but it wasn't successful for me. It didn't solve the problem for me. I tried to disable the network card, but neither this was enough...
    I hope someone find a solution...

Bye,
    Aron
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:09 PM
  • Anyone tried bios update? they say here that might be a solution... I'll  make this the last solution because I've never done this before and I'm little worried not to broke my only computer (MSI EX700, and the update from MSI seams to be the same version of mine, just with different date)

Buh bye

EDIT:   Anyone tried sleep function? for me works exactly like a monitor turn off function..everything stay's alive (network connections, dvd burning or encoding (but the music stops :-w ) and the screens turn's off like wanted
    • Proposed as answer by adYO13 Saturday, December 12, 2009 5:53 AM
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 7:58 AM
  • A solution! Well at least a big difference:

Go to Device manager, find Monitor, open it, rightclick Generic PNP monitor and choose Properties. Go to the Driver tab, and click on the Disable button! Don't worry everything will still work, and now at Turn off display time, your screen will turn off and stay off!

Dim display setting still doesn't work for me.

This solution was given to me by 6pingo at MSI forums: http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=133394.msg1003522#msg1003522 so all credits go to him!

I hope it will work for you too!

Now to Microsoft guys, how is it possible to have a disabled monitor and that everything works fine? What is disabled when you click on the Disable button in Monitor Properties?

I hope someone will explain this weird solution.

Cheers,

Ivan
    • Proposed as answer by ikovac Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:14 PM
    Saturday, December 12, 2009 3:13 PM
  • Hi!

Hohoooo!

It really works! Thank you ikovac & and thank you 6pingo as well!
    Interesting solution, and I can't explain either, but it works!
    And I am interested in Microsodt opinion about this just like you: disabled monitor...
    The dimming is still bad, but who cares.

Bye,
    Aron
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hi guys! Tnx for your great solution. I have this problem since i upgraded from vista to windows 7 for months. The same  problem mentioned above.  I have MSI VR 420 intel chipset 965 family for my graphics card and tried to flash my bios and upgrade my driver but its telling that i have the latest driver already and didnt fixed my turn off display prob. Now I follow your advice and it works! Only my dim doesnt work even i do it manually but its ok as long as my display turns off as set on my power option. Hope this issue will be fix by MICROSOFT or by geniuses out there...one day.

klyn76
    Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:57 PM
  • Windows 7 is by far the worst OS ever, very little testing and ignored beta results. All MS wants is to sell, sell, sell, junk ,junk, junk. Come back MR. Gates, they have ruined your company. No screen control, pointer jumps constantly, conflicts with itself, data loss, etc..  Bring back Me as it at least worked sometime.Win7 is always broken!!!
    Fish
    Wednesday, June 23, 2010 7:25 PM
  • This solution worked for me pretty well. Thanks.
    Monday, August 2, 2010 4:59 AM
  • YAY!  Thank you for posting this solution. Now my screen shuts off when Im not using it!

BTW, my dim works, but it seems to be mostly a function of Firmware (Fn Keys).

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 6:18 PM
  • ikovac thanks for your contribution, it worked well.

Also note that I'm using a different method now and I really recommend it:

http://www.sheeptech.com/turn-off-screen-without-closing-lid

It works like a charm!. Still no solution for the timer function, but I prefer to have control of the lid anyway.

Cheers!.

• Proposed as answer by cayond1 Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:32 AM