none
Hibernating a Virtual Machine, or booting a Virtual Machine with a user/pass RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure if I am trying to accomplish something that Virtual PC isn't capable of doing, hopefully it is just me missing something.

What I am trying to accomplish is to create a sequenced test environment that runs nightly. I will have 40 Virts that launch sequentially. As each virt is launched, it runs a test scenario and upon completion shuts down.

The issue I am having is this. If the Virtual Machine is Hibernated, it doesn't require a password upon start. This works, but there is no way that I know of to shutdown the virt in hibernation mode from within the Virt. Since I am using a triggered event from winsched, it goes right into a shutdown.

OK, A shutdown isn't the end of the world until the following restart of the virt. Then a password is required since it was shutdown and not in hibernation.

Ultimately, is there a way to do this sequential routine and keep it hands free?

I am Using the following:

Windows7 Ultimate for my base machine for the virts.
    WinScheduler 7.5 to manage the time events and sequential launching of the Virts. (idealy, I would like to handle the hibernation of the virt after XX minutes via command line).

All Virts are Win7 Home Premium
    Each Virt also runs WinScheduler to handle the processing of the tests and then send the shutdown signal to the Virt itself.

Any Advise or Information would be greatly appreciated.

• Edited by EZizzi Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:08 AM
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:03 AM

Answers

• I take it these virtual machines are used by someone during the day and
    that's how they get in a hibernated state?

If so maybe the easiest would be changing the default close action for
    all the VMs from hibernate to shut down, then they should always be in
    a shut down state when nobody is using them.

Also, if you're handy with powershell or vbscript, you can check the
    state of the virtual machine and start the VM based on that.  (If
    you're using Windows Virtual PC.)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012 11:28 AM