none
Windows 7 Repair loop: MissingOsLoader after KB4474419 and KB4516065 Updates RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 7 x64 Pro German UEFI machine with LSI RAID Controller was only booting into repair mode after Installation of some Windows updates.

The relevant Updates were

KB4474419 (SHA-2 code signing support update for Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008: September 10, 2019)

and KB4516065 (September 10, 2019—KB4516065 (Monthly Rollup))

and some Office updates theat surely have nothing to do with the issue.

Start Repair could not fix the issue:
    missingosloader

What I did:

bcdedit -fixmbr
    reboot: no fix

bcdedit -fixboot
    reboot: no fix

bcdedit: lists correct entries, winloader.efifile exists in c:\windows\system32

Analysis and collecting available information points to a SHA2 signature issue of the bootloader.

I disabled signaturecheck for the OS loader with the CMD in the repair mode environment:
    bcdedit -set {default} nointegritychecks 1

disabled repaid function (not advised):
    bcdedit /set {default} recoveryenabled 0
    reboot: issue fixed - the machine did boot into windows and completed the update installation of the mentioned KBs.

https://www.borncity.com/blog/2019/06/11/bekommen-windows-7-nutzer-ein-sha-2-update-problem/

I must say: this is a very nice update

updates installed

btw:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4474419/sha-2-code-signing-support-update

Prerequisites
    There are no prerequisites for installing this update.

True???
    • Edited by L_Herzog Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:33 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

True.

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself. In addition, thanks for sharing the solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 19, 2019 6:43 AM