none
Hard links and file deletions RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everyone.

When refreshing from Windows XP over to Windows 8.1 using hard links, after all the process is complete, do "old hard links" get removed or do files remain with duplicate hard links?

I'm concerned about disk space, privacy and disk usage figures.

If "old hard links" are kept, if after refresh a user deletes a file, only the "new" hard link would be removed and the file would still be there on the disk because the old hard link is still present.  It wouldn't show up in the path the user deleted it, but it would on the original/old path.

Disk space is not much of a concern these days, but privacy concern is more relevant.  If user wants a file deleted (and empties Recycle Bin), it would actually "still be there", only that in the "old path", and that may not be acceptable to the end user.

Please advice.

Thanks

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hi, Hetti.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree emtying the Recycle Bin doesn't quite assure files will be unrecoverable, but still most end users are satisfied with that and only few would consider products such as those you mention.

As I continued reading the Windows XP to Windows 8.1 refresh strategy, I found out about the 28 days period during which content of the Windows.old folder is kept to allow for recovering any non migrated files, and after which old OS files are effectively deleted. But this also takes care of old hardlinks to migrated files, therefore the old hardlinks only linger for 28 days. Disk Cleanup can also be used any time before the 28 days and that would pretty much take care of my concern.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by mdgrkb Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:09 PM

All replies

• By emptying a recycle bin data will not be fully removed form hard disk. yet data recovery software is capable of recovering even shift+del files..  If you see your data should not be gone to anyone use incinerators that will permanently delete the files..  http://www.dban.org/download
    Or even cclener is sufficient

Hetti Arachchige V Aravinda | Network & System Administrator (B.Sc,MCP, MCTS, MCSA, MCSE,MCITP, CCNA, CEH, MBCS)| http://www.windowstechinfo.com |

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Hi, Hetti.

Thanks for your reply.

I agree emtying the Recycle Bin doesn't quite assure files will be unrecoverable, but still most end users are satisfied with that and only few would consider products such as those you mention.

As I continued reading the Windows XP to Windows 8.1 refresh strategy, I found out about the 28 days period during which content of the Windows.old folder is kept to allow for recovering any non migrated files, and after which old OS files are effectively deleted. But this also takes care of old hardlinks to migrated files, therefore the old hardlinks only linger for 28 days. Disk Cleanup can also be used any time before the 28 days and that would pretty much take care of my concern.

Thanks

• Marked as answer by mdgrkb Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:10 PM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 4:09 PM