none
Unable to install Remote Server Administration Tools in Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings. I'm hoping someone can help me because I've hunted high and low and have asked others and we're stumped. I have a job as a software tester and packager and I'm trying to prepare a package of the Remote Server Administration Tools to be deployed to all Windows 7 32-bit PCs in the environment I work in. Before deploying the package, I have to ensure I'm able to install the Remote Server Administration Tools package through a command line and I'm unable to do so. As previously mentioned, all of the computers are using 32-bit versions of the Windows 7 operating system and I have downloaded the 32-bit Windows Update Stand Alone package for Remote Server Administration Tools (x86fre_GRMRSAT_MSU.MSU).

The issue that I'm having is kind of a hair puller. If I double click on the MSU file, it installs with no problem at all. If I try using the command wusa x86_GRMRSAT_MSU.MSU /quiet, the application will not install. I get a Windows Update Stand Alone error of 0x80070002 - The system cannot find the file specified. If I use the full path to the msu file, then I get an error of 0x80070057 - the parameters is incorrect.

I've tried expanding the msu file into a different directory and then using the Package Manager application (pkgmgr.exe), but once again, I get the same above errors if I try without the path before the msu file (0x80070002) and with the path (0x80070057). I've followed just about every instruction imaginable and I'm at the point where I don't know what else to suggest. This is the only problem I'm having with regards to any install and just to be safe, I re-downloaded the msu file from Microsoft. 

If anyone has any other suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, March 17, 2011 2:46 PM

All replies

• use the absolute path to the MSU as wusa parameter.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 3:10 PM
  • I've done that Andre and it still comes up with the 0x80070057 error
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Hi Jeff,

please add /log:RSAT.log to the command line and open the dpx file with the Eventlog viewer and look for more details.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Thursday, March 17, 2011 9:40 PM