none
Why is Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container consuming so much RAM RRS feed

• Question

• Hi -

I am working with multiple large csv source files in power query. All of my queries are disabled by default during development and I load them to the data model when testing, and then unload them. My workbook is about 40KB in size.

But when I open the workbook and I click on "Enable Content" for External Data Connections (queries still disabled) I will see 4 or sometimes 6 Microsoft Mashup Evaluation Container tasks (Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40.exe) in the Task Manager, each consuming 200-250MB.

Can you please tell me what these tasks are for? Why are they started with this workbook?

Thank you,

Rory

Thursday, October 16, 2014 4:14 PM

Answers

• Hello Rory,

Sorry for the large RAM consumption the Mashup Containers are causing. These are in fact evaluating the preview cache eagerly in the background so by the time you click on one of the queries the preview loads immediately.

We understood that the side effect of this is sometimes undesirable. Hence we are looking at ways to address this problem.

Regards,

PQ

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

• Marked as answer by R Noone Friday, October 17, 2014 11:12 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 7:45 AM

All replies

• Hello Rory,

Sorry for the large RAM consumption the Mashup Containers are causing. These are in fact evaluating the preview cache eagerly in the background so by the time you click on one of the queries the preview loads immediately.

We understood that the side effect of this is sometimes undesirable. Hence we are looking at ways to address this problem.

Regards,

PQ

Peter Q. http://blogs.msdn.com/peter_qian

• Marked as answer by R Noone Friday, October 17, 2014 11:12 AM
    Friday, October 17, 2014 7:45 AM
  • I'm having the same problem with a CSV source. I have a lot of Power Query steps, but each step is simple.

There are only a couple hundred rows in the CSV file, but I get three separate Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40.exe files running that together take up 75% of my CPU as soon as I open the Excel file.

They never free up the CPU. I even let it run overnight, but they continue to use 75% the next morning.

Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:43 PM
  • Yes, I've been having the same issue. It would be great to just have an option somewhere to disable the automatic calculations of these previews.
    Monday, November 10, 2014 5:20 PM
  • I have the solution, or a parcial solution, I tried with Power Query 2.23 and I had the same problem you have, but if you disconect your computer from internet, the cpu gets the nomal level, 3% or 4% max.

I update to Power Query 2.24 and I get something new, if I wait like 1 minute doing nothing, the cpu gets to 75% and then slows until 20 % and then you can work perfect.

They are close but not enought. Let's wait 

Thursday, July 16, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Thanks for the report Raimundo!
    Thursday, July 16, 2015 10:43 AM
  • I'm experiencing the same issue with either .csv files or excel files.  Is there any workaround to this?

Friday, August 21, 2015 3:38 PM
  • I see it was being looked into 3 years ago now.  I'm new to Power Query in 2017 and I'm
    seeing

3 x Microsoft.Mashup.Container.NetFX40.exe

each consuming 23% of my CPU load even though all the PQs and connections are within the same workbook which itself has only 500 records.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:51 AM
  • Same thing - AMD FX-4350 CPU is overheating because this Mashup thing is trying to do something in the background, and this has been noted since 2014?!? How long is Microsoft going to think caching is the answer to everything? It's "fake" performance, folks, has been since Access 1.0.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 10:57 PM
  • Hi there,

It appears I'm not the only suffering with this problem.  I have three large Data set which I have many Excel Power Queries working off from.  I'm hitting 2.7GB of RAM, now  The outputs are simple Excel tables.

Is there a solution, or better ways to mash up the data to use less RAM etc.?

Wednesday, June 14, 2017 10:06 AM
  • This problem is about to render Power Bi unusable...... This thing is running up 5-6 instances with each being 200mb. I have disabled the auto background refresh in the data source settings. The reports only need to refresh 1 time a day. Why should they occupy this much RAM 24/7? Really hoping there is a better solution.
    Monday, August 7, 2017 2:46 AM
  • I haven't noticed these Mashup's until lately. Are they a direct result only from setting up a Power BI Subscription or something PowerBI related? I have been using PowerQuery a lot more that past few months and only noticed these Mashups this week and I setup my first subscription on BI to generate last Friday.

I agree with all of you, they are eating up 50-200k a process and running at least 4+ at a time. Really needs a fix fast.

Monday, August 21, 2017 5:30 PM
  • I submitted this as an issue to Power BI some weeks ago and got the same "we know it's an issue and we're looking into it."  Agree with the poster who says this issue is about to render Power BI useless.  It's ridiculous how much load these processes take.  I didn't know you needed a server to use Power BI...
    Tuesday, September 26, 2017 2:28 AM
  • Hello Peter

I am working with a few fairly large, but not ridiculously large, csv files and Power BI has now become all but unusable.  A fairly straightforward load now takes 30 minutes, and this happens every time I change a single line in any query.

Do you, or anybody, perhaps know whether there is a way to make this workable again?

Thanks

Wilhelm

Wilhelm van der Merwe | Sydney, Australia

Thursday, July 26, 2018 1:00 AM
  • Good Day All,

I am facing same issue in Excel 2019 (64 Bit), while using Power Query. I work on i7 processor with 16 GB RAM, still as soon as I open the excel file CPU consumption hits 90-100% only on 64 bit. Is there any way to fix this or this is a bug which Microsoft needs to fix.

Thanks

Nasir

Thursday, November 21, 2019 6:20 AM