Will the Release Version require a re-install over RC? RRS feed

• Question

• Having downloaded the RC, I'm now in a quandry. It runs very well on my test system, and I'd like to install it on my (identical) main system as well. However, I don't want to have to go through the process again when the Release Version appears.

Will it be possible to go directly from RC to Release Version without a re-install?

Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:09 PM

Answers

• Having downloaded the RC, I'm now in a quandry. It runs very well on my test system, and I'd like to install it on my (identical) main system as well. However, I don't want to have to go through the process again when the Release Version appears.

Will it be possible to go directly from RC to Release Version without a re-install?

Hi Nigel

We are still awaiting the official word as to what all of the install options will be available with the final RTM version.

However, one thing is certain, you will be required to perform a clean installation with the final version on a computer that is runnng the Release Candidate, you will not be able to perform an in-place upgrade over the RC. This will also require that you reinstall all of your software programs.

You need to start planning for this now by making sure that you have all of the installation files for your software available as well as all of the registration and validation information for those programs.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:30 PM

All replies

• NO it is not, you will backup your data and restore after a wipe N load of the OS.
    Some say you can use the MS tools to save your user settings and reapply them to the new build, but that has never worked for me, I always get a flaky
    install using that tool.
    Sunday, July 12, 2009 1:49 PM

Hi Nigel

We are still awaiting the official word as to what all of the install options will be available with the final RTM version.

However, one thing is certain, you will be required to perform a clean installation with the final version on a computer that is runnng the Release Candidate, you will not be able to perform an in-place upgrade over the RC. This will also require that you reinstall all of your software programs.

You need to start planning for this now by making sure that you have all of the installation files for your software available as well as all of the registration and validation information for those programs.

Hope this helps.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Sunday, July 12, 2009 8:30 PM
  • Here's a more recent thread on the same question:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/911607a4-cd0c-4613-93d2-10ca45948e92

Seems lots of people are wondering the same thing: "Why can't I just upgrade from RC to RTM, since I've just spent all this time installing and testing all my apps on it?"
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 4:43 AM