Windows Vista SP1 Upgrade Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried all available methods of installing SP1 on my Vista machine.  My Windows Update log is overflowing with failed attempts at SP1 and failed attempts at suggested fixes.  Today alone, I have logged 4 different errors on each attempt to upgrade.  The errors are 80246007, 800705B4, 80010108 and 8024000B.

I am trying to complete this upgrade in order to upgrade to Windows 7 and not have to do a fresh install.

Any suggestions?

Friday, April 8, 2011 7:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may refer to the following information to check if you have taken these steps. If not, please execute it and check if it helps.

System resources, such as file data, registry data, and even in-memory data, can develop inconsistencies during the lifetime of the operating system. These inconsistencies can be caused by various hardware failures or software issues. In some cases, these inconsistencies can affect the Windows servicing store, and they can cause software updates not to work. The System Update Readiness Tool tries to resolve these inconsistencies. When the System Update Readiness Tool detects incorrect manifests, files, or registry data, it may replace the incorrect data with a corrected version.

1. Please download the System Update Readiness Tool from the link below according to the System Type:

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 32-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=b4d90b06-c27d-4483-bc1f-04d43fa7b293

System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista 64-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=f6f353c0-d00e-43e7-97ef-0feefc7ff064

2. Double click the downloaded file to run the System Update Readiness Tool.

Note: It may take an hour or longer to detect and replace the incorrect data, please be patient. When it is finished, please restart the computer.

If you are running any third party applications such as Spyblocker, Internet or web accelerators (programs designed to boost the speed of the Internet connection), security or anti-virus programs (McAfee, Norton, etc.), I recommend temporarily disabling or shutting them down during the troubleshooting process. Please be sure to re-enable them once the process has completed.

If your original system is an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) version preinstalled in the computer, I recommend contacting the computer manufacturer before installing Windows Vista SP1. Please ask them if any of the software applications and hardware drivers need to be updated for Vista SP1. Otherwise, installing Vista SP1 may cause unexpected problems.

Depending on the system, the installation may take more than 45 minutes. The system will reboot several times during the installation. Please do not turn off the power manually. If we are using a laptop, please connect it to the AC Power Adapter.

After that, I recommend downloading Windows Vista Service Pack 1 in Normal Mode and installing it in Clean Boot Mode. Please follow the steps below.

Step 1: Download Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer
    ===================================================
    1. Download Windows Vista SP1 from the link below according to the System Type:

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 32-bit (Size: 434.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/a/9/3a9b72c2-527d-4694-8a49-84c056d4c34d/Windows6.0-KB936330-X86-wave0.exe

Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for Windows Vista 64-bit (Size: 726.5MB)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/3/b/83b8c814-b000-44a4-b667-8c1f58727b8b/Windows6.0-KB936330-X64-wave0.exe

2. Please save it on the Desktop.

Step 2: Install Windows Vista SP1 in Clean Boot Mode
    ========================================
    Please disable all startup items and third party services when booting to avoid conflict when installing Vista SP1:

1. Click "Start", type: MSCONFIG in the search box and press Enter.

Note: Please click "Continue" if the "User Account Control" window pops up.

2. Click "Services", check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
    3. Click "Startup", click "Disable All", click "OK" and restart the computer.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We can manually run these programs later.

4. Please double click the downloaded Windows Vista Service Pack 1 Standalone Installer and follow the instructions to install Windows Vista SP1.

To restore the computer to a Normal Startup, repeat step 1 above. Then click "Normal Startup" on the General tab, click "OK", and then restart the computer.

References:

How to troubleshoot Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation issues

Microsoft Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) frequently asked questions

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Friday, April 15, 2011 6:43 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, July 12, 2011 2:55 AM
    Monday, April 11, 2011 6:05 AM
  • Sabrina,

Thank you for the suggestion.  I downloaded the Readiness Tool and let it install one Hot Fix.  The machine then sat idle for hours.  I checked the update history which showed a need to reboot after the Hot Fix installation.  I rebooted.  I then ran the readiness tool again.  It installed the same Hot Fix.  This time, before rebooting, I prepped for a clean boot, then rebooted.  I proceeded to install SP1 via the downloaded standalone package and after many hours, it rolled back the changes due to a failure. 

I do not have the details of the Hot Fix in front of me currently as the machine in question is not with me.

If you need more information, I would be happy to provide it.  I have been trying to do this for months now and have never had so much much trouble installing a SP.  I may just proceed directly to WIndows 7 and take the upgrade path.

Thank you,

Frank

FJM
    Friday, April 15, 2011 12:02 PM
  • I have the same problem.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 5:20 PM