none
windows 8 boots up to black screen with movable curser RRS feed

• Question

• It will sometimes boot up with text under the ASUS logo saying "Preparing Automatic Repair" with the loading ring, but then just go to a black screen or sometimes go to a blue screen for about a second stating that repairs cant be done, then go to the usual black screen and moveable curser with mouse AND touchscreen. If not, it will runn to booting up loop under ASUS logo for a long time and then to black screen w/cursor. Cant figure out how to get into safe mode and hubby is trying to get cmos mode to recover with disks, but it wont let him use them and change to just repair to save the harddrive that i have important documents and baby pictures on. We THINK we found my recovery disks, but as this computer is 4 yours ours (refurbished) and we've moved a few times, and I am terrible at putting needed details in the desc, we are not totally convinced these are them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 10:36 PM

All replies

• To get to Safe Mode normally you press F8 during boot up. I would try that first. If safe mode works there is likely something starting up that causes the issue like an application or driver. Also if all else fails you can take the Hard Drive out of the laptop and I think cables to hook it up externally to retrieve your data run about $10 (SATA to USB). Let me know if you can get into safe mode. You might also try Pressing F2, F11, F12, or Delete. One of those should get you into the BIOS. It might be worth resetting it to the default settings in case something was messed with. When you get the black screen and the cursor are you able to press CTRL + ALT + DEL to get the Task Manager?

Thomas Faherty

• Edited by Kiodos Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:07 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:06 PM
  • Update. Hes gotten it into safe mode but it looks like my bios has been messed with and it wont repair on the level it needs to and keeps telling him to call tech support (he IStech support) his initial suggestion was to take the harddrive out and do that, but he doesn't have the time. With how much hes been playing with it, he may end up just giving in and doing it anyway.
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:35 PM
  • Normally machines do not tell you to call someone for help unless they are infected. I would first run a virus check if it is an older OS like Windows 8 using Combofix should be good

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

If it is newer try Malwarebytes, AVG, any freeware just to make sure you are safe. 

After that I would download CrystalDiskInfo and verify the drive is good and not dying. Just use the standard edition the other stuff is silly

https://crystalmark.info/en/download/#CrystalDiskInfo

That tool will tell you months out if the drive is in a state of caution and you should pull your info from it. 

If that all checks out open a command prompt by pressing the windows start button and typing CMD then right click and run as Admin. 

type SFC /Scannow 

This is the System File Checker. Let me know how those steps return. 

Or he can make things easy and pull the drive lol. 

Thomas Faherty

Thursday, March 28, 2019 11:47 PM
  • If your bios has been messed with and machine is no longer under warranty, you need to take off your hard drive and put the machine to manufacturer maintenance center, let support deal with hardware issue.

About fee, it depends on your machine’s type and damage level. Once hardware issue fixed, you boot into safe mode and in-place upgrade system.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 29, 2019 1:44 AM
  • If there was more than a black screen and curser, i would run my Malwarebytes. Pulling the harddrive is looking more attractive ny the hour.
    Friday, March 29, 2019 6:45 AM
  • If you need any help with trying to recover the computer more, or with what it takes to pull the drive, or what to buy to read it let us know. Otherwise if you feel like that has been resolved please mark any response you feel was satisfactory to close the thread and keep things clean. 

Thomas Faherty

Friday, March 29, 2019 3:41 PM