none
Monitor turns off at startup RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've a strange problem with my Dell 530 inspiron.  It's got an nvidi 8600gt graphics card, Vista premium 22" viewsonic monitor, DVI cable.

I'm guessing I've received an auto update that's screwed something up - I certainly don't remember changing anything significant. Now when my machine starts up, at the end of the vista startup progress bar when the logon screen would normally display, the monitor turns off saying there's no signal.

I've tried several driver versions (from the original factory installed ones to the latest non-beta ones) and Dell have even come out and replaced the video card, but no joy. Dell say they want to reinstall vista, but I'm kind of hoping there's a better way as I don't really want to go through all the hoops of reinstalling software.

I can disable the device in safe mode and start up under intel graphics so there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the monitor or cable.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

R.

Thursday, April 17, 2008 9:57 AM

Answers

• Sounds like a Motherboard issue to me, not video card or monitor.

If it was your Monitor, you would not get any signal, even at POST.

Have you tried updating your BIOS?  Chances are, your problem lies there.

Check your current version, then go to manufacturer's website to see what the current one is.  You can also see what problems they fix. 

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:26 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a Motherboard issue to me, not video card or monitor.

If it was your Monitor, you would not get any signal, even at POST.

Have you tried updating your BIOS?  Chances are, your problem lies there.

Check your current version, then go to manufacturer's website to see what the current one is.  You can also see what problems they fix. 

Thursday, April 17, 2008 3:26 PM
  • Hey,

Ive got the exact same problem but there is no way for me to fix it ive tried basically everything, updating drivers etc.

if any one can help, please.

Email me at jordancapurso@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance, Jordan

Saturday, May 17, 2008 6:00 AM
  • You will never believe it, last night i turned the computer off at the switch and left it off over night, so when i turn the switch back on the computer boots it self up and its working perfectly again. YAYZ

Sunday, May 18, 2008 9:25 AM
  • Sounds like you know what your talkin about. But i have already changed the motherboard. Is there something else i need to do. Thanks for advice.
          Edward

Thursday, May 22, 2008 6:28 AM