none
Hyper-V on Windows 8.1 64 bit, "Could not send keys to the virtual machine" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I newly installed Windows 8.1 (not an upgrade, fresh install from corporate network) on a Dell Precision T7600 workstation and enabled the Hyper-V feature with the matching management. I created a couple of 2 GB RAM, 2 virtual CPUs VMs and am trying to install Windows Server 2k8R2 and 2k12 on them. After a network boot, during the first couple dialog boxes for Windows setup, I am unable to use the keyboard. When I try to boot from an ISO, the VM get stuck on a black screen "Starting Windows". In either case if I use the VM connection window menu to paste from clipboard or send ctrl+alt+del, I get the error:

Virtual Machine Connection

Could not send keys to the virtual machine.

Interacting with the virtual machine's keyboard device failed.

I search online for this error and did not find others experiencing it.

I tried to shutdown and reset both VMs, I stopped and restarted the Hyper-V service. Neither helped. I am not sure what other step I can take at this point.

Also, I configured a virtual switch as external network on one of the two Intel network adapters. Both connect to a gigabit switch. "Allow management operating system to share this network adapter" is checked. Both VMs are on the same virtual switch.

Senior Soft. Dev. Eng. | Microsoft IT | Microsoft Corporation

• Edited by David Burg Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:09 PM Adding network details
    Tuesday, December 17, 2013 8:07 PM

Answers

• My bad! I selected Gen2 VM because I wanted resizable vhd, but that is not supported with older windows versions, leading to these confusing errors.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Can you find any information in event log about this issue?

Based on my research, it seems that the Dll file related to Hyper-v was corrupted.

I suggest you try using the following command to repair your system.

1.Open an elevated command prompt: press Win+X, then click Command Prompt(Admin),and press Enter.

2.At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Regards,

Kelvin hsu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:44 AM
  • Thank you Kelvin for the suggestions.

I looked at the event log and it did not have any error logged despite the error dialog being displayed (you would think an error would be logged, but...). I also went through the information level events after reproducing the issue again, but there was no hyper-v or hardware event about the issue. Weird!

I am currently running the repair command you suggested.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 6:29 PM
  • Unfortunately the issue persists after the repair command. OS install boot from DVD freeze, Ctrl+Alt+Del fails with same could not send keys error.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:25 PM
  • My bad! I selected Gen2 VM because I wanted resizable vhd, but that is not supported with older windows versions, leading to these confusing errors.

Thursday, December 19, 2013 7:54 PM
  • I will also add that Dell has release a newer BIOS for the T7600 which interestingly includes a fix for "keyboard issues".

Thursday, December 19, 2013 9:43 PM
  • Faced this today while trying to install Win 2012 Server on a Win 20 Host using Gen 2 VM. Reverted to Gen-1 as a workaround.

yup

Saturday, February 3, 2018 2:51 PM