none
32 BIT PROGRAM ON WINDOW 8 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Have just purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 64 bit already loaded. I am trying to load on programs which worked fine on XP 32 bit, but they will not load. I have looked on the internet and found reference to XP Mode for Windows 7 - will it work on Windows 8 or is there an easier or better way to load these programs? Also have noticed a file "programs x86" and found references to this as being for 32 programs - any clarification would help.

Thanks.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 4:31 AM

Answers

All replies

• Which program do you try to run? 32Bit programs should also work, but old XP programs should be run in XP compatibilty mode:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/get-apps-devices-working

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:10 AM
  • Hi Andre,

The program is called Digger, from Macbeth Genealogy Service - basically it is a database program. Have looked on the net, and found several references to changing the compatibility tab to XP Service Pack 3. Did this, and it appears to load, but when I try to start the program I get a message that says "This app will not run on your Computer" (or words to that effect).

Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:20 AM
  • this is the complete error message? Does it create a log file or adds information to the eventlog?

Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Hi, they state on a Digger support page it will not work with 64-bit.  Apparently it's a 16bit DOS application.  It should work in a virtual machine with a 32bit windows guest, or in DOSBox.
    Sunday, July 21, 2013 4:20 PM
  • Nice find that the tool is a 16bit tool (-> Proposed as answer)

Sunday, July 21, 2013 7:50 PM
  • Test This Solution

1- XP Compatibilty

2-XP Mode

3-Test On VM

Sunday, July 21, 2013 8:41 PM
  • BDM Revival will allow you to run DOS programmes in 64 bit without Windows XP mode. Go to http://www.peppermintfence.com/BDMRevival.htm It works and it is really easy to use and has specific support for Digger programmes. :-) Jason.
    Wednesday, March 12, 2014 11:27 AM
  • Hi Jason

Where can I get the programme from now as the link does not work.

My email is gentreeaustralia@outlook,com

Regards

Rose

Thursday, July 5, 2018 9:31 PM