none
Managing bandwith for VPN RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I read this post https://www.anoopcnair.com/vpn-bandwidth-bits-throttling-f…/ but I have hard time understanding everything.

We have Windows 8.1 clients and ConfigMGR 1902. So what would be best? implementing Bits client settings or managing DP Bandwith? With DP we would affect every client and using BIts we may be able affecting only VPN User. But at the end what is the best?

Thanks

Friday, April 10, 2020 9:45 PM

All replies

• There is also a 3rd option - configure BITS for SCCM client. I would go with that first.

MCSA Win10, MCSE Mobility, MCSA M365.

Sunday, April 12, 2020 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

But even if you give a 100mb bandwith with BITS on 1000 users and then need pushing a 100mb package to each one then you may plumb your vpn Gateway… No?

Sunday, April 12, 2020 4:03 PM
  • How about start using cache peer and branchcashe? 

MCSA Win10, MCSE Mobility, MCSA M365.

Sunday, April 12, 2020 4:15 PM
  • Hi,

As the users are at home and alone, how branch cache and peer cache may help?

Thanks,

Sunday, April 12, 2020 7:06 PM
  • Hi,

Refer to the following guide:

Regards,

Youssef Saad | Blog LinkedIn | Twitter

Please remember to mark the replies as answer if they help, thank you!

Monday, April 13, 2020 6:28 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

I prefer to use  BITS client setting in this scenario.

Compared to managing DP Bandwith, we could set throttling window start time and  throttling window end time through using BITS client setting.

In addition, clients could be divided into different groups depending on bandwidth requirments. Only VPN User would be affected by using BITS instead of every client.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Amanda You

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Amanda You Monday, April 13, 2020 9:01 AM
    Monday, April 13, 2020 9:01 AM
  • Hi,

The article is speaking about Windows 10. Is it still true with Windows 8.1? If you have 1000 client trying to download 100mo package then it is still 100Gb from your Gateway.

Thanks,

Monday, April 13, 2020 11:11 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

Throttling policy is ignored for BITS traffic in Windows 8.1 or Windows Server 2012 R2, and a hotfix is available to fix this issue.

Here is the article we could refer to :
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3116302/throttling-policy-is-ignored-for-bits-traffic-in-windows-8-1-or-window

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Amanda You

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 16, 2020 10:12 AM