none
Delete OEM Recovery Partition? RRS feed

• Question

• I just put a new blank SSD in a Dell laptop.

I guess OEM's stopped putting product keys on computers - to load windows 10 on it, I had to run the dell recovery software, which loaded Windows7 (with Dell's OEM settings). After that I ran an in place upgrade to Windows 10.

The problem is that there's a 14GB 'RECOVERY' partition that I can't remove - I think this is Dell's original recovery partition.

I plan on creating a system image before I load software on the PC, but I want to get rid of the ancillary recovery partition first so I don't waste space backing up the extra data.

I get the error below when trying to delete the partition:

DISKPART> list disk
      Disk ###  Status         Size     Free     Dyn  Gpt
      --------  -------------  -------  -------  ---  ---
      Disk 0    Online          223 GB  5120 KB
    DISKPART> select disk 0
    Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
    DISKPART> list partition
      Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset
      -------------  ----------------  -------  -------
      Partition 1    OEM                 39 MB    31 KB
      Partition 2    Primary             14 GB    40 MB
      Partition 3    Primary            208 GB    14 GB
    DISKPART> select partition 2
    Partition 2 is now the selected partition.
    DISKPART> delete partition override
    Virtual Disk Service error:
    Delete is not allowed on the current boot, system, pagefile,
    crashdump or hibernation volume.

DISKPART>

Given that I don't know the product key, is there a way I can safely delete the RECOVERY partition or do a full fledged clean windows install (that would allow me to repartition the disk but still leverage the same key)?

Thanks in advance!

Saturday, July 22, 2017 11:57 PM

All replies

• https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Can be used to with Download tool now link to create Windows 10 install media. During install you can select I do not have a product key and will license when it first goes online if it was licensed with Windows 10 before.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

Is a guide to doing a clean install. I would recommend to delete your old disk partitions and install on unallocated space (at the 'Partition your system drive however you like.' stage of the above guide).

Sunday, July 23, 2017 4:52 PM
  • To delete recovery partition you can simply use Powershell

At first list al disks, and get the number of the one you want to operate on

get-disk

Number Friendly Name Serial Number                    HealthStatus         OperationalStatus      Total Size Partition
                                                                                                                 Style
    ------ ------------- -------------                    ------------         -----------------      ---------- ----------
    1      ST3500312CS               xxxxxxxxx             Healthy              Online                  465.76 GB MBR
    0      SanDisk SD... xxxxxxxxxxxxx                     Healthy              Online                  447.13 GB MBR
    2      USB           0123456789ABCDEF                 Healthy              Online                  465.76 GB GPT

$d = Get-Disk 2

List all partitions on disk selected

$d | Get-Partition

DiskPath: \\?\scsi#disk&ven_usb&prod_#000000#{53f56307-b6bf-11d0-94f2-00a0c9aabbcc}

PartitionNumber  DriveLetter Offset                                        Size Type
    ---------------  ----------- ------                                        ---- ----
    1                            1048576                                     200 MB System
    2                            210763776                                   128 MB Reserved
    3                F           344981504                                199.84 GB Basic
    4                            214919282688                                450 MB Recovery
    5                G           215391141888                             240.16 GB Basic
    6                            473264291840                                 25 GB Recovery

Remove the partition by number (6 in my case)

$d | Get-Partition -PartitionNumber 6 | Remove-Partition

Saturday, January 6, 2018 5:37 PM
  •  If you are going to do a clean install you can delete any or all partitions from within the installer (on the Where do you want to install Windows? screen) before you install the OS. Select the partition and click Delete.

Bill

Saturday, January 6, 2018 10:31 PM