none
Many hidden storage volumes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I've tried to find any info about this, but no luck. I've recently built a new system and fresh installed Windows 10 Pro 1903 (On the old system I was on version 1806) and I've noticed some strange things.

First, lots of hidden/disconnected storage volumes under Device Manager -> Storage volumes with status:

Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

And secondly I've found this error in event viewer and it looks like this two can be linked together:

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume13'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xC03A001C.

Filter Manager failed to attach to volume '\Device\HarddiskVolume12'.  This volume will be unavailable for filtering until a reboot.  The final status was 0xC03A001C.

This is from diskpart

I don't even have volume 12 or 13 and I didn't move any disks after installing Windows.

Any help?

Monday, October 7, 2019 7:06 PM

All replies

• Unless it is not causing any problem better to leave this.

[Generic Storage volumes are like USB drives, virtual drives , virtual drives for virtual machines.. etc. may be displayed.]

Regarding error it may generate when using the native Backup solution from Windows, and the backup destination is an External Drive. So it is safe and you can ignore these errors.

If you have still some doubts in your mind then you can check the integration of your system:

Open Command Prompt as Administrator and type the following command:

sfc /scannow followed by pressing the Enter key.

If the above fails then try the following:

•     Start Command Prompt as an administrator.
    •     Once the Command Prompt opens, enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter to run it.
    •     The DISM scan will now start. This scan can take about 20 minutes or more, so don’t interfere with it or interrupt it.

I shall also suggest you to test your Hard Drive. You may get the diagnostic tools from the support site of the manufacturer. Download and run the application to check the Hard drive health.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:08 AM
  • From Microsoft website:

Currently, this hardware devices not connected to the computer. To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer. (Code 45)

Cause

This error occurs if a device that was previously connected to the computer is no longer connected. To resolve this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Recommended Resolution

No resolution is necessary. This error code is only used to indicate the disconnected status of the device and does not require you to resolve it. The error code resolves automatically when you connect the associated device to the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows

You could Running the Hardware Troubleshooter and Scanning and Repairing Hard Disk Corruption by chkdsk /f command.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:04 AM
  • Unless it is not causing any problem better to leave this.

[Generic Storage volumes are like USB drives, virtual drives , virtual drives for virtual machines.. etc. may be displayed.]

Regarding error it may generate when using the native Backup solution from Windows, and the backup destination is an External Drive. So it is safe and you can ignore these errors.

If you have still some doubts in your mind then you can check the integration of your system:

Open Command Prompt as Administrator and type the following command:

sfc /scannow followed by pressing the Enter key.

If the above fails then try the following:

•     Start Command Prompt as an administrator.
    •     Once the Command Prompt opens, enter DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter to run it.
    •     The DISM scan will now start. This scan can take about 20 minutes or more, so don’t interfere with it or interrupt it.

I shall also suggest you to test your Hard Drive. You may get the diagnostic tools from the support site of the manufacturer. Download and run the application to check the Hard drive health.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Thank you for your reply, I don't have any virtual machine installed and I do not use any backup solutions, just system restore on C drive. I've checked the system integrity and everything is healthy. I try to find who is creating all of this volumes that look disconnected.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:36 PM
  • From Microsoft website:

Currently, this hardware devices not connected to the computer. To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer. (Code 45)

Cause

This error occurs if a device that was previously connected to the computer is no longer connected. To resolve this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer.

Recommended Resolution

No resolution is necessary. This error code is only used to indicate the disconnected status of the device and does not require you to resolve it. The error code resolves automatically when you connect the associated device to the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/310123/error-codes-in-device-manager-in-windows

You could Running the Hardware Troubleshooter and Scanning and Repairing Hard Disk Corruption by chkdsk /f command.

Regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thank you for your reply, yes I am aware about why this is generated, but I want to know why are so many disconnected volumes. As I didn't move or disconnected any hardware after I've installed windows.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:37 PM
  • I suspect your image...

Try to download a clean iso from Microsoft website and in-place upgrade, check result.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 9:03 AM