Windows 7 & KVM Switch windows Move & resize RRS feed

• Question

• I have read many, many articles on Windows 7 not remembering the size or position of open windows when shut down.

I assume this is no longer a problem as I have two Windows 7 computers and I don't find this a problem.

My problem is a slight variation on this:

I have two Computers No.1 running Windows 7 Pro, No.2 running Windows 7Home Premium.

These run on the same Monitor using a KVM Switch.

Computer No.1 has no problem. (The below only happens on Computer No.2)

Computer No.2 : I have 3 open windows, use KVM switch to view Computer No.1 then same to go back to Computer No.2 where I find all three windows that were open have now moved position and changed size.

Now I am not even switching off the computer, just switching the monitor view.

Both Computers are set to use the same screen resolution.

I am fully up to date with my Windows up-dates and also I have the latest graphics drivers on both computers

Please Can Anybody Help.

I have spent a couple of months trying to find a solution, but to no avail.

• Edited by Merv Wiz Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:16 PM
    Sunday, December 14, 2014 3:31 PM

Answers

• help from another forum as well I seem to have solved the problem, by un-installing "Catalyst Control Centre" and only keeping the supplied VGA driver installed.

Why or how I don't know, but I tried re-installing the "Catalyst Control Centre" and the problem returned.

I had tried swopping the KVM leads but it made no difference.

Thank You to anyone who offered help.

Jolly Happy Christmas To All

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:01 PM

All replies

• Can you update the video card drivers and check once ? 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, December 15, 2014 1:31 AM
  • As stated in my post I have updated to the latest video drivers already.
    Monday, December 15, 2014 5:50 PM
  • Hi Merv,

Please take a check with the following thread, see if any posts there would help:

Turning off display resizes open windows

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:54 AM
  • have just tried switching off my monitor, but Not using the KVM switch and everything stayed where I had left it.
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 9:50 PM
  • I have read all in that thread and nothing helps, My problem is not when turning off the monitor.

I have one monitor/two computers, it seems a lot of people are using their KVM switch with two monitors and one computer.

If I turn off my monitor but leave the computers working all windows stay where I leave them.

If I switch between the Win7 Pro & Win7 home premium (2 computers) the Win 7 Pro is fine nothing moves but when I switch back to the Win 7 Home the open windows have moved and re-sized. When this computer had XP on it nothing went wrong.

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 10:16 PM
  • It sounds to me like there might be a problem with your KVM.  If it doesn't send the proper maintenance signal to the Win7 Home box when you're using Pro, Home might think the screen timing or resolution has changed.  Do you have a different KVM switch you could connect?  Barring that, have you tried swapping the KVM's cables between the Home and Pro systems?
    Tuesday, December 16, 2014 11:51 PM
  • help from another forum as well I seem to have solved the problem, by un-installing "Catalyst Control Centre" and only keeping the supplied VGA driver installed.

Why or how I don't know, but I tried re-installing the "Catalyst Control Centre" and the problem returned.

I had tried swopping the KVM leads but it made no difference.

Thank You to anyone who offered help.

Jolly Happy Christmas To All

• Marked as answer by Michael_LS Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:25 AM
    Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:01 PM
  • Hi Merv,

Thank you for your sharing and update.

If any other questions, please feel free to ask in TechNet.

Best wishes and Merry Christmas.

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Edited by Michael_LS Tuesday, December 23, 2014 2:20 AM
    Thursday, December 18, 2014 1:26 AM