none
access denied to Documents and Settings folder RRS feed

• Question

• I have three desktops: 2 w/ win 7 Ultimate, 32-bit, one w/ win 7 HP, 64-bit. None of them will let me access the Documents and Settings folder in Windows Explorer. I get an "access denied" popup each time I click on D&S folder. As I am the only Administrator with no other accounts, why would I be denied access to any folder (except, maybe, system info)?

I use a voice recognition program that stores it user profiles in D&S and I cannot access them to transfer my user profile to one of the other computers.

All three computers are networked through a router and they are all in the same Homegroup. In both Homegroup and network I have full privileges for all users on each system and have authorized access to the entire system.

Can't think of anything else pertinent.

Thank you,

Rick

Saturday, June 15, 2013 12:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That is the way you would go to access a user on XP.

The way it is done with Vista/Win 7/Win 8 now is C:\users\your username.

Win 7 does not allow access to that folder anymore, as you have found out 

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul

Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:15 PM

All replies

• Hi,

That is the way you would go to access a user on XP.

The way it is done with Vista/Win 7/Win 8 now is C:\users\your username.

Win 7 does not allow access to that folder anymore, as you have found out 

Please bear in mind, that my answer is based on the details given in your post. The more I get the better the answer, Slan go foill, Paul

Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:15 PM
  • Could you provide a screenshot?
    Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:20 PM