none
pxe fails with existing resource - sometimes RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

When rebuilding a computer, a resource record usually exists in the SCCM database and this is no problem.

What has started happening is that occasionally the pxe boot fails and the pxe log says 'the device is in the database'. Deleting the resource record fixes the problem. Why would some systems pxe boot fine with an existing resource record and some not?

Thanks

David Z

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 11:09 PM

Answers

• The target is only media and PXE.

In light of this I have decided that we will change our procedures. First I think its much safer that the OSD only be targeted to unknown computers so I will instruct the OS builders to check and delete the resource record before the pxe boot.

• Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:19 PM

All replies

• Because your TS deployment is targeted to Unknown Machines. "The device is in the database" means that the machine is NOT Unknown, and so there is no TS deployment targeted to it.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:17 AM
  • The TS is also targeted to all clients.

However that was only recently added. Does it take a little while for it to recognise a new target?

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 12:28 AM
  • Hi David,

Thanks for posting in TechNet.

When the WDS server receives the PXE request, it (the WDS server not the client itself) interacts the client's MAC address and SMSBIOS with the MP to see if the client is in the ConfigMgr Database. So that the WDS server decides if there is a suitable deployment and optional advertisement for the unknown\known client. Please repeat the PXE boot and check the SMSPXE.log again to see if there is any change.

==>The TS is also targeted to all clients.
    Please help check if you select the TS deployment option "Configuration manager clients, media and PXE" to make sure the client could get the TS policy. Or please deploy the TS to a collection that includes the computer.

Thanks for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 4, 2019 3:22 AM
  • The target is only media and PXE.

In light of this I have decided that we will change our procedures. First I think its much safer that the OSD only be targeted to unknown computers so I will instruct the OS builders to check and delete the resource record before the pxe boot.

• Marked as answer by David Zemdegs Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:19 PM
    Wednesday, December 4, 2019 8:19 PM
  • Hi David,

Thank you very much for your sharing and feedback. Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    When rebuilding an existing computer, PXE boot fails with 'the device is in the database'. 

Solution:
    ===================
    For security consideration, change the procedures to check and delete the resource record before the PXE boot.

Thanks again for your time.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 5, 2019 1:51 AM