lpksetup almost 100% successful RRS feed

• Question

• How does one remove a language pack (ie. Japanese) on Vista Ultimate such that on every reboot there is no entry in the event log, and there are not two files in the Windows\Temp folder?

I have successfully (so it claims) installed the Japanese language pack.  Then, I successfully uninstalled it (so it claims).  However, there is an event entry and two temp log files on every reboot of the system.

Any information on how to make it 100% successful will be appreciated.

Doc

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 6:49 PM

All replies

• Doc

What is the event you are seeing in the event viewer?

Double click the event to see the details. At the bottom/left of the details window you will see a Copy button. Click that button and paste the results in a reply to this message. Also, what are the names of the 2 temp files?

Was this a LIP (Language Interface Pack) or one of the MUI (Multilingual User Interface) packs that are available in the Ultimate Extras on Windows Update?

Do you have the Service Pack 1 installed?

Have you used the instructions from the following article to remove the language pack?

Windows Vista Ultimate language pack release information:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925471

Let us know.

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:24 PM
  •  

Hi Ronnie,

Event log data

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-LanguagePackSetup

Date:          10/30/2008 11:51:54 AM

Event ID:      1001

Task Category: Language Pack Setup Wizard functionality

Level:         Error

Keywords:     

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      x

Description:

Application initialization failed. Last error: 0x80070032

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-LanguagePackSetup" Guid="{7237fff9-a08a-4804-9c79-4a8704b70b87}" />

<EventID>1001</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>2</Level>

<Task>30</Task>

<Opcode>31</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2008-10-30T15:51:54.000Z" />

<EventRecordID>33783</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="1964" ThreadID="1968" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>x</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

<Data Name="Error">0x80070032</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

C:\Windows\Temp files

lpksetup-20081030-115154-0.log

lpksetup-20081030-115126-0.log

It is one of the MUI (Multilingual User Interface) Windows Vista Ultimate Language Packs (Japanese Language Pack).

SP1 installed, and the instructions in the KB article followed.

Both the install of the pack, and the removal of the pack, seemed to go flawlessly.  Not experiencing any problems.  Just looking to have a clean event log.

Any help appreciated.

Doc

Friday, October 31, 2008 1:13 PM
  • Doc

I understand that this can be irritating.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to find this exact error in any of my research. I did find a few users who had similar errors, but these were all associated with 'failed' install/uninstall for language packs and had slightly different error codes.

This particular error code returns as:

0x80070032 - The request is not supported. ERROR_NOT_SUPPORTED

If you have not rebooted the system since uninstalling the MUI, you might want to try that, just in case there is a temp file or setting that may be causing this.

I will keep an eye out for any information on this behavior and post back to this thread if I find anything.

You might want to click the 'Alert' button at the top of this thread so you will be notified about any new posts here.

Regards,

If this post helps to resolve your issue, click the Mark as Answer button at the top of this message.

Ronnie Vernon
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience
    Friday, October 31, 2008 5:16 PM
  •  

Thanks for looking at this.  I have checked the web, and it appears that I am not alone with this one.  Even though lpksetup and lpremove indicate that everything was successful, there is some residue left behind.

Doc

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:43 PM
  • I have this same error with Vista Ultimate OEM 64bit. Installed the Finnish language pack. It went fine and appeared to work. The error was there after installation and reboot. Uninstalled the language pack and rebooted - error still there. Turned Windows Installer and Windows Module Installer to automatic, rebooted and error was still there. Cleared out the downloads folder in SoftwareDistribution. Downloaded the language pack again via Windows update...installed...rebooted...same error still there. Installation is fine but I hate seeing errors in the event log.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 11:56 PM
  • Same error, even after SP2 on my Vista. And I dont have any language pack here. Maybe tryed to install once...
    Sunday, October 25, 2009 7:00 AM