none
When VRAM is not enough, how is the VRAM distributed? RRS feed

• Question

• When RAM is not enough, not-recently processes's memory are expelled from the RAM to the page file, and the processes being used will occupy the RAM.

What about when VRAM is not enough? I have heard that for games, RAM is used. But what about when using the desktop? Web browsers, video players, and other productivity applications use VRAM, too. 

If the VRAM is depleted and a new foreground application requests VRAM, (1)does the OS expel not-recently use processes’ memory from VRAM to RAM and give the freed VRAM to the new process, or (2)does the OS keep the current VRAM distribution as it is, and give RAM to the new process instead?

Saturday, September 28, 2019 3:43 PM

All replies

• I thank that the whole ram solution is all ram v ram and chips  More of any of these are better even buffers  cache all of these are better spent with more some older programs don't remove there selves from ram due to bad programing just like not all registry entry's are never fully cleaned  

I think the future in processes will lye in process switching 

the process depletes  but what is to say that all the blocks holding the info truly get cleared or if data lingers  inside the ram after it was supposed to clear due to voltage irregularity's in the data 

Saturday, September 28, 2019 4:37 PM
  • No, I don't want to know about RAM; I want to know about video memory on a discrete graphics card (VRAM).
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 9:04 PM
  • What the fudge are you talking about?
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 9:05 PM
  • What the fudge are you talking about?
    Sorry about that. I misunderstood the question. 
    Saturday, September 28, 2019 9:29 PM
  • Hi,

>>But what about when using the desktop? 

Using VRAM

>>If the VRAM is depleted and a new foreground application requests VRAM

(2) the OS keep the current VRAM distribution as it is, and give RAM to the new process instead.

For more information,you can see in the below link:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/gpu-vram-usage.1740876/

This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Best regrards,

Charlotte Tang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 30, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Sorry Discrete RAM is only Used unless you have like an Intel /Nvidia card set up in your laptop where they have to use firmware between the to cards to share discrete ram 

that is the only time that system ram is shared in a single discrete card solution it is best to purchase the video setup with the most on board video card ram built-in into the card itself the reason you want a lot of system ram in windows is because of the memory leak that is patched and not fixed and also most of the new game engines use a lot of system resources ALL the ram on the video card is used for is to help process all the numbers crunching through the cards hardware back in the day that's why video games weren't feasible for the PC platform because there was no hardware video cards VOODOO 3dfx was one of the first hardware accelerated video cards on the market TOOK up the whole PC Slot and bay in the computer and only ran OPEN GL Instructions ONLY there was no direct-x No Nvidia and No Radeon Nvidia Bought the rights to OPEN -GL and the whole SHABANG became VIDEO CARD HISTORY

Thursday, October 10, 2019 11:56 PM