none
Bizzare Disk Management error related to mmc.exe RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Win 10 x64 device (ver 1903). I've never had any issue running Disk Management on this computer until today (Oct 6 2019). Now I get the error:

-----------

C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.-

-----------

I've verified that mmc.exe is still at the location C:\WINDOWS\system32\ and I can in fact run it.

Important: I only get the error if I try to access Disk Management from the Create and format hard disk partitions shortcut from within the Start Menu. In particular, ways 1,2,3,5,6,7 in the following link do not trigger the error.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/7-ways-to-open-disk-management-in-windows-10.html

OS: Windows 8 x64 Pro with Media Center. All drivers up-to-date.

• Edited by ntvinh1985 Monday, October 7, 2019 12:00 AM
    Sunday, October 6, 2019 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your situation, you can try the following methods:

1. Disable antivirus software and turn off firewall.
    2. Run DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow to check system files.
    3. Run a CHKDSK Scan:

Open the Win + X menu by pressing the Windows key + X hotkey.

Then select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Prompt’s window.

Enter ‘chkdsk C: /r’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Return key.

Close the Command Prompt when the scan is complete, and restart the desktop or laptop.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 7, 2019 9:27 AM
  • Hi,

I am very happy to help you. Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem?  If you think the answer is helpful, please mark it as a reply, which will help more users get valid information.

Best regards. 

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 6:30 AM
  • Hi, 

Was your issue resolved? 

If you need any further assistance, feel free to let us know. 

Best regards. 

Friday, October 11, 2019 8:28 AM