Wrong MP is assigned when using CMG RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there!

Recently I've setup a CMG.

Seems it works correctly:

The boundary groups have settings as follows:

My hierarchy contains 2 MPs:

sc2012mpkiv for Intranet connections

gand sc2012cmgcp for Internet connections. sc2012cmgcp collocates with CMG Connection PointThe clients which fallback into VPN boundary group catch Cloud MP as it should to:

However, when the clients disconnect from VPN and become Internet client they catch on-prem MP:

I assume that when the clients become Internet they have to catch Cloud MP instead of on-prem one as well.

How can I fix it?

Saturday, May 9, 2020 10:26 PM

All replies

• check the client logs such as clientIDmanagerstartup, ccmmessaging, locationservice for any issues with communicating to CMG services.

Eswar Koneti | Configmgr Blog: http://www.eskonr.com | Linkedin: eskonr | Twitter: @eskonr

Sunday, May 10, 2020 6:28 PM
  • We had some issues with the CMG when we started pointing boundary groups to the CMG. It only started working properly when we stopped forcing a boundary group to use the CMG. Users on a VPN connection were recognized as "local network" and showed up as Intranet and used the sites as if they were on the corporate network. When a user was connected directly to the internet the machine started using the CMG correctly.  It makes sense this way since a pure internet connection will not have a boundary on your site so you cannot control internet boundaries.

JacquesB4

Monday, May 11, 2020 8:32 AM
  • Just to clarify one point here, clients never use a CMG as an MP based on boundaries or boundary groups. Clients on the Internet randomly choose an Internet enabled MP which in the case of a site with a CMG will be the CMG. The purpose for adding a CMG to a boundary group is for content only.

I don't know if that helps here, but I just wanted to make that clear.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Monday, May 11, 2020 1:28 PM
  • Yes, I know this. We used this approach previously, but since the COVID took place the whole company is working from home. 80% of them are using RDP to local computers and 20% are working through VPN or Internet. So it's busyness requirement that everybody who is working through VPN or Internet have to communicate via CMG. We are running CB 2002, so it has ability to assign CMG to boundary group 
    Monday, May 11, 2020 10:17 PM
  • Quiet clear. So, does it mean that Internet-enabled MP have to be showed up in General tab in sccm client applet? If so, why Intranet-enabled MP is showed up instead of Internet-enabled MP in my case when the clients connect through Internet? Is it okay that I see cmg.cloudapp.net/CCM_Proxy... in general tab when client connects through VPN and fallback within boundary group with CMG assigned?

Monday, May 11, 2020 10:27 PM
  • As noted, I really don't know exactly why you're seeing what you're seeing as the scenario is far from trivial. There is a known bug fixed in 2002 that could be causing your issue here or there could be something other factor. You need to review the logs as noted by Eswar. If that doesn't help, then you should open a support case and/or upgrade to 2002.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:10 PM