none
Duplicate records RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello!

    At one of my clients, they have started seeing duplicate computer names in SCCM after every image\reimage. This started about 6 months ago or so. One record would be with the client installed and one without. I have reviewed their OSD and have not seen any abnormalities. We have "Automatically resolve conflicting records" checked off. We moved delta discovery from 10 min to 60, still not improvement. 

    Currently they are on CB 1906. When this issue started they were on CB 1902.

    Does anyone know why is this happening and how to resolve it?

    Much appreciated. 

    Wednesday, November 27, 2019 5:25 PM

All replies

  • Hi,
     
    Duplicate Records are created due to the discovery data manager mechanism which runs a query and sorts the results by date. It will update the most recent returned result rather than the active result if more than 1 result is returned. Any subsequent AD discovery will then update the NULL or inactive entry in the database instead of the active entry.
     
    Here is a workaround: Use query to identify duplicate records of clients, once those duplicates are identified and fetched in to the collection, we can delete those records.
     
    For more details, please refer to:
    ConfigMgr (SCCM) – Duplicate Record Issue
    Known Issue and Workaround: Duplicate Records When You Use Unknown Computer Support with Active Directory Delta-Dis

    Thanks for your time.
     
    Best regards,
    Simon Ren

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    • Proposed as answer by dekac99 Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:43 AM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 8:18 AM
  • Hi Simon,

    The query identified in the first link, does not give me any records, the collection is blank. The query that I used for a while now is similar, but actually captures the duplicate computer names, I just have to sort and delete those without the client:

    select R.ResourceID,R.ResourceType,R.Name,R.SMSUniqueIdentifier,R.ResourceDomainORWorkgroup,R.Client from SMS_R_System as r full join SMS_R_System as s1 on s1.ResourceId = r.ResourceId full join SMS_R_System as s2 on s2.Name = s1.Name where s1.Name = s2.Name and s1.ResourceId != s2.ResourceId and s1.Name <> "Unknown"

    We are also suspecting that having Hybrid Azure and some GPOs forcing system to register with Azure may be contributing to the issue. This is being tested tight now.




    • Edited by STHLM Thursday, November 28, 2019 5:26 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2019 5:25 PM
  • Hi,

    Thanks for your reply and sharing.

    Based on my experience, delete the duplicate records with CM agent will fix the issue. Let's monitor it for a few days. If there is any other assistance we can provide, please feel free to let us know. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Thanks and regards,
    Simon

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Friday, November 29, 2019 3:07 AM
  • We also started experiencing this a few months ago. We pre-create computer objects in ConfigMgr and then put them into a collection with the OSD task sequence deployed to it. The duplicate objects are created by SMS_AD_SYSTEM_DISCOVERY_AGENT shortly after the OSD process joins the PC to the domain. I'd like to say this started after our upgrade to 1906 but it's difficult to pinpoint exactly when.

    I think identifying and deleting the duplicate objects is a decent workaround but a proper solution would be preferable. 

    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:35 PM