none
Bitlocker key trouble RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to use Bitlocker to encrypt a drive without TPM. I've done this on an identical computer in which case I enter a password to unlock the drive at startup. However while setting up Bitlocker encryption on this computer, I accidentally chose to "insert a USB flash drive" to unlock the drive at startup. I had inserted a flash drive to save the recovery key so consequentially that drive was formatted to unlock the hard drive. Unaware of this, I proceeded to fully encrypt the hard drive. Now, the computer will not start without that flash drive inserted. I've tried to turn off Bitlocker and turn it back on and select "enter a password" to unlock the hard drive. But that results in me having to both insert the USB drive AND enter a password! If I stop Bitlocker, the computer starts OK. How do I turn Bitlocker back on and get it to stop requiring the flash drive?

I'm using Windows 10 Pro

• Edited by locoono Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:15 PM
    Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

We could configure local group policy to remove startup key requirement on your computer. Please try the following steps.

1. Navigate to Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > BitLocker Drive Encryption > Operating System Drives > Require additional authentication at startup in the Group Policy window

2. Change the option to “Allow Startup Key With TPM” in Configure TMP startup key as the high light.

3. Run command “manage-bde -status c:” as administrator to check the status of encrypted drive. (replace C with you encrypted drive letter.)  Make sure the key protectors is without Startup key in the command result. If the issue persists, try to change  “Require additional authentication at startup” to not configured to check the issue again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 14, 2017 6:31 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 29, 2017 1:52 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

Thursday, August 31, 2017 5:48 AM