none
WINHTTP SSL connection fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a mature (deployed > 24 months) WINHttp application that has suddenly started failing with these error codes.

ERROR_WINHTTP_SECURE_FAILURE (12175) from the WinHttp call, or SEC_E_INTERNAL_ERROR (0x80090304) is the WIN32 code, or "Local Security Authority cannot be contacted (0x80090304)" if I trace deeper.

It's a CredentialProvider that does 2nd factor auth by talking to a Tomcat server.  Server certificates are self signed and host name is NOT the actual server name.  This was all working fine for a long time, then, about 6/24/16 we started getting reports of failures to connect the the server.

Now my client installer is failing on some machines, because it does a connectivity check to make sure they didn't fat finger the server address.  

Of course, everything works fine here on every machine I've tried.  

I've tried netsh trace and get as far as the LSA cannot be contacted error above.  That's really not very helpful.  

Does anyone have a clue about the REAL issue?  I have to assume it's caused by a windows update, but what?  

BTW: It's happens on WIN7 and WIN10 machines according to my tech support people.

Thanks for looking ...

Dan.

Monday, July 11, 2016 8:36 PM

All replies